Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Blitz 2013
I can now confirm that the maximum number of places available is 110.

Currently on 80/110 entries. I am hopeful that the top boards (rotating) will be recorded with an HDV recorder and there will also be a professional photographer throughout the day.
Jonathan Edwards Wrote:I can now confirm that the maximum number of places available is 110.

Currently on 80/110 entries. I am hopeful that the top boards (rotating) will be recorded with an HDV recorder and there will also be a professional photographer throughout the day.

Just noticed 1st grading prize is for under 2000. With 2 players in the world top 20, circa 20 titled players and about half the field rated over 2000 this seems a little harsh on those in the 2000 to 2200 category. Sad

How about another rating prize?!
George Neave Wrote:
Jonathan Edwards Wrote:I can now confirm that the maximum number of places available is 110.

Just noticed 1st grading prize is for under 2000. With 2 players in the world top 20, circa 20 titled players and about half the field rated over 2000 this seems a little harsh on those in the 2000 to 2200 category. Sad

How about another rating prize?!

I agree that it does seem a little tough for those between 2000 and 2200 as it will be difficult to contend for a prize - although the chance to play top players at blitz certainly seems appealing. I hope to add another grading prize (perhaps u2200 or u2150) depending on entries over today and tomorrow. At the moment I can't really afford to add an extra prize.

Now on 100/110 entries... 10 spaces left. Entry closes on Friday evening for those interested.
That's a new one.

Criticism of a tournament where the prize money is mostly aimed at the 'better' players, who have worked hard on their game.
Andy McCulloch Wrote:That's a new one.

Criticism of a tournament where the prize money is mostly aimed at the 'better' players, who have worked hard on their game.

Yes, isn't it great to see someone can organise an event in Scotland where 2200 is in the range where a grading prize would seem reasonable. Quite remarkable and shows what is possible.

It's interesting you read that as a criticism - I suspect Jonathan did not.
Really enjoyed today's tournament. I can't see the information anywhere yet, but the main event was won by Arkady Naiditsch, with Ketevan Arakhamia-Grant picking up the Scottish title. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to thank Alex and Lara for ensuring that a tournament with 13 rounds in one day ran exceptionally smoothly.

Hats off to Jonny Edwards. Organising this championship for the second year in a row, attracting over 100 entrants and ensuring the participation of 2 super-GMs is a really exceptional achievement.
Congratulations to Johnny on what sounds like a fantastic event. Sorry I missed it this year. Its great to see an event like this generating so much interest and really shows everyone what is possible for chess in Scotland. Well Done!

Any chance of Carlsen next year? :U
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Very professional and highly enjoyable tournament. Loved it!
1st - Arkadij Naiditsch 11.5/13 - £600

2nd - Danny Gormally 10.5/13 - £400

3rd= - Keti Arakhamia-Grant 10/13 - £150 & Scottish Blitz Champion Trophy
3rd= - Mickey Adams 10/13 - £150

Keti is the Scottish Blitz Champion for 2013 after beating the top two seeds back-to-back in the final two rounds.

Thanks for all the support this year!

Full rankings and results to follow.
Superbly organised by Jonathan, expertly run by Alex and Lara and generously supported by the three sponsors.

I am partial to a piece of shortbread now and again (although a piece normally turns into a packet) and have to confess I may have purchased lesser quality products in the past. However, I promise that I will place Walker's shortbread in my trolley on my next visit to the shops and I will be sticking to this quality product in the future.

If I had friends I would be purchasing Walkers products as gifts for New Year.

With the Inverness Congress in September and the South Ayrshire taking place over the Burns night weekend in January I may be in contact with Jonathan to see what price I can get for a bulk purchase.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->