Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
David Deary Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:Alt 0128 produces this Euro symbol €

Holding Alt Gr & 4 at the same time produces this one: (Oooh look they are the same!)
Be sure to use the 4 above the letter keys as the numpad doesn't work for the above.

David,
Are you trying to make the point that there are many ways to make money ?

Here is a Euro that I took from your posting without your permission €

I thought I'd better return it.

I thought that 0128 would be an easy number for chess player to remember,
Being the number of squares on two chess boards - And after all this debate is about a form of chess that requires two chess boards.
Calum,
The piece of equipment can be used by the able bodied as well as the visually handicapped. Therefore the clock would be of benefit to all. That in itself, would make it good value. I would ask you to read tmy previous threads on this subject. I have explained fully the clock and the whole situation about the development of this product
StevieHilton Wrote:Calum,
The piece of equipment can be used by the able bodied as well as the visually handicapped. Therefore the clock would be of benefit to all. That in itself, would make it good value.

Well... Just because the clock is usable by all doesn't make it good value. In fact, it is bad value to everyone else as a DGT clock can be purchased for half the price. (not arguing that it's not good value to visually handicapped players though =) )
Jonathan,
Other DGT clocks are no use to blind players that in itself does not make them good value for money. The clock I am using can be used by everyone and that alone does make it good value for money. It is a bit expensive I agree, but I repeat that it is much easier to programme than some of the DGT clocks that are available just now. Surely you would accept that the equipment used in a chess match should be accessible to both players especially if one of the players is visually handicapped
David,
Going through the various postings on this thread, I noticed you missed out a couple of facts about the BCA in regards to its fees structure.
1/ The BCA is a registered Charity
2/ They use a professional fundraiser paid on a commission basis Something for CS to consider
3/ When you become a registered charity membership fees have to be kept low.
StevieHilton Wrote:David,
Going through the various postings on this thread, I noticed you missed out a couple of facts about the BCA in regards to its fees structure.
1/ The BCA is a registered Charity
2/ They use a professional fundraiser paid on a commission basis Something for CS to consider
3/ When you become a registered charity membership fees have to be kept low.

Steve

I was simply highlighting that the BCA seems to give very good value for money.

On point 2, it is something I have briefly discussed with one or two others in relation to Prestwick and CS activities and is something I would like to investigate further, if I am still in the finance role in the future.

Points 1 and 3 are also worth considering, however having followed the ECF debate on a similar issue, I thought at the time that moving CS in that direction could cause more problems than it would solve. This was prior to our own AGM last year and I haven't looked into any further since taking the finance role.

On the DGT v more expensive clock I think you buy what you need. At the moment we do not need clocks that have the talking facility. If we need clocks now it makes more sense to buy the cheaper ones that serve us well enough just now.

I do think that CS could work closer with the BCA and other organisations (not necessarily chess organisations) which work with people who are visually impaired or have some other disability. In a way there is a similar argument for introducing chess to this section of our communities as there is to introducing chess in schools. We have information on the website for schools, juniors and new clubs, is there anything there for disabled people.

Can I also ask (and please excuse my ignorance) is it okay to use "disabled" or am I being unconciously offensive to people. My apologies if I have been.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Disabled is generally considered acceptable David, although certain individuals might not like it. When speaking of an individual, using the person's actual disability is preferable, 'correct' even. I was surprised and amused to read somewhere that the word 'Deafie' is considered ok within the deaf community =o
Further to discussion on another thread, which I hope will be allowed to return to its original humdrum purpose. I have received the following privately.

From one person -

"One thing that did cross my mind was what would happen in the event at any congress if the blind player's tactile clock failed for any reason?  Are they likely to have a spare with them?  This may be a case for CS to purchase one of the newer Garde clocks for £30 to be on hand if required."

From another -

"I will donate a "Talking Digital Clock" to Chess Scotland on proviso
-- it is only used in Scottish Congresses
-- it is not loaned to individuals or clubs
-- my name is withheld ( you can say an anonymous donor if you like)

I can't find out where to buy this, but I'm sure someone does. Apparently the Spanish one mentioned is called "Kaissa". If Chess Scotland can find this and either buy it and I'll refund the cost or order it and I'll transfer the funds to Chess Scotland."

A further person offered to fund the purchase of a Garde clock if necessary.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
I don't speak for everybody who's disabled, but I'm disabled and no offence taken over use of the word. I've been called many worse things in my life. "Patzer" tends to offend me more these days. You know what they say about the truth...
StevieHilton Wrote:Other DGT clocks are no use to blind players that in itself does not make them good value for money. The clock I am using can be used by everyone and that alone does make it good value for money.

Using that logic a £1 digital clock is bad value, whereas a £10,000 talking clock is good value!