Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
StevieHilton Wrote:I note that you have not stated an alternative to thse time controls

Sorry Steve, I don't understand the question/point.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
StevieHilton Wrote:.. I use the Spanish one at my tournaments both here and abroad.

David,
I have Never been against incremental time controls but there is a serious concern at the lack of equipment available to visually handicapped players The onus should be on CS to provide appropriate equipment for use by the visually handicapped.

Steve,

Is there an identifiable need for this equipment?

I am not aware of any other current player who takes part in congresses who would benefit from the purchase of such clocks.

That's not to say there aren't people out there who would take part, just that I don't know about them.

I would be happy to assist in applying for assistance for this, if there was an identifiable need but if there isn't then surely it makes more sense for CS to invest in clocks which are cheaper than use scarce funds on clocks which will never be fully utilised.

Going back to Prestwick, the "serious concern over the lack of equipment" is applicable no matter what the time control. So I think the introduction of incrementals is not the barrier to entry that you previously alluded to. I'm therefore slightly miffed and slightly mystified as to why you would single Prestwick out as effectively banning players from taking part.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
For sure it's good if an event makes reasonable adjustments for disabled players to take part. But how is it reasonable for a tournament/CS to be expected to buy a clock at £140 for a single player? If the majority of players want to see tournaments with incremental time controls then I also don't see how it's reasonable to deny them that simply because one or two people don't like it. That's hardly democratic is it Steve? So until the price of such clocks comes down considerably I don't see how it's going to be a cost-effective purchase for Chess Scotland to get some. I would argue that the onus - in fact - is on the player if they so wish to take part in the event to purchase the expensive clock that they think gives them equal chances.

Remember too that it's not impossible for you to take part in a tournament with incremental time controls, it's only an inconvenience (correct me if I'm wrong). David has in the past been excellent at innovating with his events, and I see this in a similar way. I have absolutely no doubt that he will make reasonable adjustments for disabled players to take part, as he has done in the past.
David,
I am not singling out Prestwick I would have raised the same concerns with any tournament that is planning to use time controls with increments. They are very difficult for blind players as I know from experience. I know that it is not your intention when I said effectively banning players but surely you would accept that it makes things a little more difficult for us who have a visual handicap I know that you are doing a lot of good work but I would say the concerns I have raised are legitimate. I reiterate that I am not against the use of time increments, but have concerns about how they affect blind players in particular..

Andrew,
With respect,
The clock I am referring to can easily be used by everyone disabled and non disabled alike. and the clock is much easier to programme than some of the digital clocks now available. I am just simply suggesting that CS consider investing in some of these clocks in the future if time controls with increments are going to be used more frequently That would be a benefit to the whole of the Chess community in Scotland I would add Andrew that the disabled are as much a part of the chess community as the able bodied or Gens Una Sumus We are one people
Why not use some of the surplus of Andy Muir's budget to purchase one of the special clocks & add it to the heap of Chess Scotland clocks that are loaned out to Congresses?

Tournament Directors know who are likely to play - Chess Scotland should assist by supplying kit for the use of all potential entrants.
Phil Thomas Wrote:Chess Scotland should assist by supplying kit for the use of all potential entrants.

So we had better buy braille boards etc etc
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Phil said: "Why not use some of the surplus of Andy Muir's budget to purchase one of the special clocks & add it to the heap of Chess Scotland clocks that are loaned out to Congresses?"

I would like this money be allocated to a "reserve for the 2014 Olympiad" - as the exact cost of training, travel and appearance fees are not known for this event.
Andy Howie Wrote:
Phil Thomas Wrote:Chess Scotland should assist by supplying kit for the use of all potential entrants.

So we had better buy braille boards etc etc

It would seem the equitable thing to do. Blind players have to bring their own sets and clocks while everyone else has them provided for them at congresses. It is not as if Chess Scotland would have to invest a lot as only a handful would be required, plus any money spent would be reimbursed through hire fees to congresses.
amuir Wrote:Phil said: "Why not use some of the surplus of Andy Muir's budget to purchase one of the special clocks & add it to the heap of Chess Scotland clocks that are loaned out to Congresses?"

I would like this money be allocated to a "reserve for the 2014 Olympiad" - as the exact cost of training, travel and appearance fees are not known for this event.

But Andy,

unless things have changed lately budget can not be carried forwards from one financial year to the next.

While chess clocks are more portable.
Its the difference between dogs and turkeys.

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
Turkeys are sensitive creatures and might be reading this notice board.
StevieHilton Wrote:David,
Who was consulted over the use of incremental time controls?
Were CS consulted?
Where disability issues taken into consideration?
By announcing this type of time control, you are effectively banning disabled players particularly blind and deaf/blind from participating in the event. You simply cannot do that.I would ask you to reconsider this

As the thread is about Prestwick 2013 - this seems to be singling out Prestwick

Gary McPheator Wrote:It is not as if Chess Scotland would have to invest a lot as only a handful would be required, plus any money spent would be reimbursed through hire fees to congresses.

Where is the handful of people that presently need CS to supply this equipment?

I repeat my, as yet unanswered question, Is there an identifiable need for this equipment?

I am not aware of any other current player who takes part in congresses who would benefit from the purchase of such clocks.

StevieHilton Wrote:They are very difficult for blind players as I know from experience...but surely you would accept that it makes things a little more difficult for us who have a visual handicap
Sorry but I still don't get how an incremental time control causes greater difficulty for those currently playing with a visual handicap than it does for those who do not. The first time I played an incremental event it was certainly different to any other event I had previously played and I guess you could say it was more difficult, if that is how you like to view things.

Phil Thomas Wrote:But Andy,

unless things have changed lately budget can not be carried forwards from one financial year to the next.

While chess clocks are more portable.
Its the difference between dogs and turkeys.

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
Turkeys are sensitive creatures and might be reading this notice board.

The subject of carrying over unspent budget from one yera to the next was discussed at the 2012 Council meeting and confirms what Phil states.

I am not sure if I am a dog or a turkey. I am certainly a Scorpio.