Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Wiltshire
I learned today that Richard Wiltshire of Bearsden Chess Club is currently in a care home in Glasgow, following his recent illness and have been asked to post the address of the home for anybody that would like to visit him, as visitors are very much appreciated.

The address is Oak Bridge Care Home, 2302 Great Western Road, Knightswood, Glasgow, G13 2HA.

Sorry but I don't have any further information but I hope Richard is doing okay.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
I am sorry to report that Richard died peacefully on Thursday night, 29th November.

I am sure that many people will miss the familiar sight of Richard at weekend congresses and at league matches around Glasgow.

He was a fine chess player and, more importantly, a generous and witty friend to many people.
Very sad news indeed.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I am very sad to hear of Richard Wiltshire's passing.
very very sorry to hear this I spoke to him at last seasons SNCL and he was happy to live one day at a time. Always made time to speak to us mere woodshifters Always a very strong player and could give anyone a strong game
Sad to hear of this. Thoughts go to Richard's family and friends
Richard's funeral will take place at 1.30pm tomorrow, Wednesday 5th December, at Craigton Crematorium, Berryknowes Road, Glasgow.
Well, Richard went out in style today to the rousing sound of "Siegfried's Funeral March" from Wagner's "Lohengrin". He had chosen that music to be played at his funeral.

There were quite a few Chess players at the Service.
His relatives said that they would hand in his chess books to Bearsden Chess Club. If they do that I'll list them on Chess Scotland for anyone to choose. (There is also apparently a large supply of "Racing Post" for many years if anyone wants that!?)
I'm sure Bearsden Chess Club and others will miss him and, speaking personally I will try to emulate his determined approach by being less ready to offer draws in future.
It was actually from Wagner's "Götterdämmerung" not "Lohengrin" but still rousing.
Craigton crematorium said it was the first time anyone had asked for for that music.
A posthumous first for Richard!
Very sad to hear of Richards passing. It will be odd not to see him at congresses etc. He just seemed to be always there.