Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female players in SNCL
Seeing a I am a nice relaxed non-controversial member of ChessScotland, this might not mean too much. I would love to have a female player in every SNCL team. Everyone get their politcally correct hat on and have a think about it. People like Joy, Ali and Siegrun might be on my side but I am sure that there are others who are not.

Let all ladies fight for a place in the best teams. Anna , Kirsty and Stuthi would be contenders for the top teams. How does that sound? A female in every team.
What could it mean long term?... Competition for female adult and and junior international events. Sounds good to me...

Robin.
Robin,

What has this to do with live games,

And to answer your question, it would be a complete and unmitigated disaster. We have 34 teams, the 34th placed active female is graded 382.

Only the top 18 active are graded over 1000 so the idea will not work
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy,

Should have started a new thread with this, can you move it please. Point taken about the number of female players involved. How about the bottom two divisions or bottom division only? I know that Ali is flying down from Aberdeen to play 4NCL games in England. It would be good to give some female players a chance, maybe even considering adding an extra board so as not to displace anyone. A possible way to encourage female junior players to come to your club?

Robin.
I think you may have answered your own point. Ali is strong enough to play in Division 1 of SNCL...

This was discussed before and almost unanminously rejected as it causes too many issues. What happens if your designated female player can't make it, do you lose the match.

What about players like Rosie Giulian and Elaine Bamber who are currently playing in Division 1, would you expect them to give up their places and play in Division 3 / Division 4??

The idea is not a good one as it inhibits rather than promotes. We want to be inclusive not exclusive
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Toplic split as requested
It's a nice idea, but I agree that the maths doesn't work. The two problems are that the ratio of SNCL teams to Scottish players is a good bit higher than the ratio of 4NCL teams to British players, and that SNCL teams are smaller than 4NCL teams, meaning that a far higher proportion of the player pool would have to be female for this to be feasible.
Thanks Andy,

Elaine and Rosie are of course more than good enough to play in the top divisions and would continue to do so. There are a lot of younger female players, many who mostly play CFK events that I am sure would love an opportunity to play SNCL.
You and I and plenty of others are trying to encourage girls to play and continue to play when they reach secondary school. Now I accept that some of our best girls like Anna Milton, Monica and Cristina Espinosa are a wee bit far away from Dunfermline but there are quite a few that regularly attend junior events in more central locations.
It just looks a good opportunity to actively encourage girl players to join your club. As we all know, if the junior joins, there is a good chance one of their parents will too.
Robin,

What you are suggesting just won't work. It is a nice idea in principle but the practicallities are completely different.
I should add that the numbers don't rule out the idea of a mandated female player in the bottom division, so it might work on that more limited scale. Average rating of division 4 board 5s is about 1000 as it stands, albeit with very high variance, for what that's worth.
Hugh,

interesting refinement but remember that in a typical year a few teams drop out and a similar number of new teams enter into the lowest division. Overall the competition runs, year on year, close to capacity of the venue. If it became mandatory to have a female board in the lowest division then I would predict that to dramatically reduce the number of pre season applications - not good for the long term future of the whole event.