Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Commonwealth Championships are coming to Scotland Thread
Didn't expect to be the one to kick this one off!

I just want to say a massive thanks to Alex and Lara for doing such a fantastic job at the Olympiad and winning the event for us.

In the words of Willie Wonka, there is much to do and little time to do it. As you can imagine Alex is working feverishly in the background and this is going to be a massive ask on us all.

We will be putting the call out for volunteers to assist soon. Please don't be shy Big Grin
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Excellent news and well-done to Alex/Lara/anyone else involved! Smile Has it been worked out how this will tie in with the Scottish/British/Olympiad etc date-wise yet?

P.S. On the CCA website they have Scotland listed but only the Union Flag on display =o
Outstanding achievement and vision. Will be great event. Well done!
I have just been interviewed for the Herald. If it is printed and someone sees it please can you let us know as we want to keep everything for potenial sponsors
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Further to Andy's request, if anyone has anything on the 2012 Scottish that appeared in odd places can they let us know (or better send a scanned copy).

With regard to the exact timing that is still uncertain.

I have been in touch with the Welsh about avoiding a clash with the S Wales Open and I would hope that we can arrange something with the English but that may depend on who is elected at the ECF AGM in October. Ideally it would be good if a (foreign) player could do the circuit South Wales-Commonwealth-British (Major Open) and then off to the Olympiad.
What are the costs involved for Chess Scotland?
Alex McFarlane Wrote:Further to Andy's request, if anyone has anything on the 2012 Scottish that appeared in odd places can they let us know (or better send a scanned copy).

I have been in touch with the Welsh about avoiding a clash with the S Wales Open and I would hope that we can arrange something with the English but that may depend on who is elected at the ECF AGM in October. Ideally it would be good if a (foreign) player could do the circuit South Wales-Commonwealth-British (Major Open) and then off to the Olympiad.

Does that mean the Scottish will be incorporated into the Commonwealth?
Patrick McGovern Wrote:What are the costs involved for Chess Scotland?

Quite likely Alex and my sanity, or at least whats left of it.

Truthfully, from the day to day budgets, nil. We are trying to fund it outwith our annual budget.
andyburnett Wrote:
Alex McFarlane Wrote:Further to Andy's request, if anyone has anything on the 2012 Scottish that appeared in odd places can they let us know (or better send a scanned copy).

Does that mean the Scottish will be incorporated into the Commonwealth?

That is the current plan as organising two major tournaments within two week gives me the hives! We are looking to keep the entry costs much to what it has been for the Scottish. There is also the subsidary junior events as well (just to keep Robin Happy). Alex will correct me but i think it is U16, U14, U12, U10 and U8?
This seems the optimum time for the Commonwealth allowing young players to take part in Age Championships. As things stand, it would therefore be sensible to include the Scottish in this event. It also offers maximum exposure for sponsors.

It may be that the Scottish could move but I don't think this is likely in terms of finding suitable dates and staff! It seems to me that such an event would be a bit of an anti climax.

Seems Andy H and I agree 95%