Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mureck: Alleged ECF Incident
This appears in today's Daily Telegraph (online headlines). Father's complaint, Austrian & British Police involvement, and 'expected' ECF rejection.
Not sure we are allowed to discuss this with the case very much 'live'.

A link to the article on the Telegraph website: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/chess...ayers.html
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
ECF report is being published today. If we can wait until that is out then by all means
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy and David

Please note I do not wish to stimulate debate on this issue. I was simply drawing attention to it because it is a matter of interest to chess lovers. How third parties react remains a concern.

George
if this allegation is proven then heads must roll. the comment made by an official saying they were all discriminated against was made as an answer to the allegation was, at best crass, at worst collusion ;|
So the ECF found that claims of an assault are unfounded?

[Image: o725wp.jpg]

It's disgraceful that kids are not been given protection from other parents and it's disgraceful that the director who was alleged to have received reports during the event and took no action was the one who appears to have carried out the "thorough investigation".
For those wondering what Derek is referring to, the following appeared on the ECF website

STATEMENT FROM THE ENGLISH CHESS FEDERATION

ALLEGATIONS OF RACISM, ABUSE AND ASSAULT AT CHESS TOURNAMENT

The ECF has completed a thorough investigation into the events that took place at the European Union Youth Chess Championships in Mureck, Austria, between 31st July and 9 August 2012.

The investigation obtained statements from eye-witnesses. It concluded that the allegations of racist or Islamophobic abuse and of a physical attack are unfounded.

The report found that there was a disagreement amongst the families of the England team that resulted from complaints of perceived disruptive behaviour by individual children. There is no evidence that racism or religious intolerance played any part.

The claims concerning provision of suitable food during the event are inconsistent with both the facts and the extensive efforts made by the tournament organisers, hotel management and ECF Head of Delegation to ensure that the requirements of all members of the England delegation were met.

The ECF takes any charge of racism or religious intolerance extremely seriously and we absolutely condemn discriminatory behaviour of any kind. The ECF is also committed to the safety of all competitors who take part in tournaments at home and abroad.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I am the father of Yousuf, that you have pictured displaying the injury he sustained in the tournament room in Mureck on 9 August 2012. The British police are investigating.
Firstly, may I extend my thanks and sincere gratitude to the various members of the Scotland delegation that supported my family during the tournament with their kindness and especially the gentleman who offered to accompany my wife and Yousuf to hospital.
Secondly, I am appealing to anyone who has any information relating to how, when and why my son sustained his injury or regarding any matters relating to how my family were treated, no matter how trivial you may think it is, to please report it to PC 1312 Sue Newns on 01553-665356 or <!-- e --><a href="mailto:newnssm@norfolk.pnn.police.uk">newnssm@norfolk.pnn.police.uk</a><!-- e -->.
I hope that with the help of decent people at the tournament my son may witness some justice.
Thank you all.
A couple of minor alterations to the above statement that I feel are essential,

I am the father of Yousuf, that you have pictured displaying the ALLEGED injury he sustained in the tournament room in Mureck on 9 August 2012. The British police are investigating.
Firstly, may I extend my thanks and sincere gratitude to the various members of the Scotland delegation that supported my family during the tournament with their kindness and especially the gentleman who offered to accompany my wife and Yousuf to hospital.
Secondly, I am appealing to anyone who has any information relating to how, when and why my son sustained his ALLEGED injury or regarding any matters relating to how my family were treated, no matter how trivial you may think it is, to please report it to PC 1312 Sue Newns on 01553-665356 or <!-- e --><a href="mailto:newnssm@norfolk.pnn.police.uk">newnssm@norfolk.pnn.police.uk</a><!-- e -->.
I hope that with the help of decent people at the tournament my son may witness some justice.
Thank you all.

Sohale. I hope you are ok with this. Can you please sign in with your full name please ?

Thank you

Robin
Dear Robin et al

My full name is Sohale Rahman.
The changes you have made make sense, I did not mean to impose my view or my son's account.
Thanks.