Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM Motion 5
amuir Wrote:It's not just about Jacob. I opposed the Andrew Greet win in 2007 too at the time.
It should not be about whether someone has done a lot for Scottish chess either.
Being the Scottish champion is about beating other Scots. It is racist I suppose, though a non-Scot can transfer. I disagree with people being champion of 2 countries.
The discussion should not get bogged down in the legal definitions.
I would like the principle of the idea to be voted on. If that is agreed the wording can be amended to be fair.

You really know how to win an argument Andy, don't you?

There is nothing 'racist' about it (certainly not on my part - to me it is simple common sense) but if that's the way you want to take it forward then you're on your own.

I hereby withdraw my seconding of the motion (if someone who knows how could kindly inform the necessary officials I'd greatly appreciate it).

Andy Burnett
Hi Andy,

Noted. Thanks for letting me know

Regards

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Streetfighter = please explain your withdrawal of support.
Is it racist to want to be Scottish ?
Is it racist to support your country in sporting events ?
Is it racist for the SNP party to want an independent Scotland ?
Does an SNP party member want to second my motion ?
Why are you looking for a SNP supporter? What have someone's political leanings got to do with the motion?
Is there not a connection between SNP and my motion ?
Anyway, I need to know whether my motion has support
amuir Wrote:Is it racist to want to be Scottish ?
Is it racist to support your country in sporting events ?
Is it racist for the SNP party to want an independent Scotland ?
Does an SNP party member want to second my motion ?

In short,
No. No. No. Dunno.

But none of that has anything to do with motion 5.

I should declare an interest here.
I have lived and played chess in Scotland since 1988 and still regard myself as English, but for chess purposes I am Scottish.
About 3 years ago, I played my first FIDE-rated games in the SNCL and was given a SCO affiliation by default. I am quite happy with that. I have been a member of Chess Scotland, on and off, for longer than that.
IMHO, If you live or work in Scotland on a permanent basis like Keti, Andrew and Jacob you should be entitled to be Scottish Chess Champion.

There is no reason to conflate this with entitlement to represent Scotland (theoretical in my case until I hit 60).
Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne and Henrik Larsson were all Scottish Footballer of the Year but didn't play for Scotland.

Alan
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
amuir Wrote:Is there not a connection between SNP and my motion ?

I don't see it but obviously you do so can you explain it?
SNP want control of everything in Scotland without English interference.
I want the Scottish chess champion to be the first name on the teamsheet when the Scottish team plays another country.
I see a connection.
what has politics got to do with a chess motion? the politics of chess is difficult enough to cope with without bringing in the SNP :\
amuir Wrote:SNP want control of everything in Scotland without English interference.

I hadn't realised that the SNP policy was so anti-English but will accept what you are saying.

amuir Wrote:I want the Scottish chess champion to be the first name on the teamsheet when the Scottish team plays another country.

I'm sure that there are many who would support this view, whatever their political affiliation.

amuir Wrote:I see a connection.

There really isn't as people can support one and not the other. There is no connection.

it's also wrong for CS directors to be promoting their own political views by trying to infer that there is a connection between a CS policy and a political party.