Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Junior U20
Some very good wins here! =)
David G Congalton Wrote:How many rounds do they play?

13 in total I believe, with a rest day today. I am not quite sure how this works for norms, i.e. if you are allowed rounds 2-10 as a norm.
For norms you can only discard rounds in which you won.
Alex,

Are you allowed to knock out the wins that suit, or does a 9 round norm still need to be done in a run of 9 games? I.e. are you allowed to exclude rounds 4 and 9?
Both players continuing to pick up points, and an especially impressive comeback from Jonny, who after castling off the board is now up to 4.5/10. Clement is on 4/10. Both good scores, and still 3 more rounds to play. Would be really nice to see them both finish up around 50%, in what is an exceptionally strong event.
Amen. Good luck to them both!
Adam Bremner Wrote:Are you allowed to knock out the wins that suit, or does a 9 round norm still need to be done in a run of 9 games? I.e. are you allowed to exclude rounds 4 and 9?

Sorry I missed this. You can exclude any win but need a minimum of 9 games normally. The obvious ones to disguard are against the lowest rated players in order. It is rare that you can afford to ignore two wins and still have enough points.
Another win today for Clement and he's now on 50% for the tournament. Jonathan didn't get the result today but 4.5/8, after a terrible start, shows resolve and determination.

Is this the last chance for either or both to take part in this event or are they eligible for next year?

I'd be really interested to see what they thought of the event and whether they would recommend it for some of our juniors who may be too old for the youth events next year or who fancy a go at being under 20 World Champion. This year's regulations allowed for one guest player in the Open and one in the girls section.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Quote:This year's regulations allowed for one guest player in the Open and one in the girls section.

Maryann thought about asking for a selection for the under 20 but decided she needs to work on her game. She did though trouble a few near 2000 grades at the World's last year so maybe she will try next year. Or perhaps Rhian will have a go?
David G Congalton Wrote:Another win today for Clement and he's now on 50% for the tournament. Jonathan didn't get the result today but 4.5/8, after a terrible start, shows resolve and determination.

Is this the last chance for either or both to take part in this event or are they eligible for next year?

I am going to take full credit for Clement's win after helping him with prep on Skype this morning Tongue In all seriousness though, both are on impressive scores. Final round tomorrow so let's hope to finish with a bang. I wonder when the last time we had a junior score over 50% in this event?

Yes this is their final year to be allowed. Not sure where it is next year, hopefully somewhere relatively close, or at least closer than last year when it was in India.