Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct support for The Scotland Junior International Squad
Perhaps you would like to take my place Angus? ;|
OK Alan, I think you win this particular tete a tete
Angus,
No - when I stressed 'slightly' I was stressing that the general perceived wisdom is that it more productive to compete against players that are only slightly better than you than to compete against players significantly better. Are you seriously suggesting that all we need do to raise standards is to tell juniors they are talented, that grades mean nothing and get them to play in Opens all year?

Quote:which were clearly not courtious to the Scottish Juniors going to the Euroyouth
As far as I am aware most of the debate is not specific to any event or any particular group of juniors.

When Ian Thorpe was asked about the performance of the Australian team he said that to be critical of the system and organisation did not imply any disrespect for the individual swimmers themselves: all of whom have trained very hard and many of who have done personal bests and achieved other goals. Someone else made the point that athletes had be both optimists but also realists: and having people telling you you are great is good but doesn't make it so and can be counter-productive if they really believe it.
robin moore Wrote:Angus,

Yes, The EU Championship is very much of interest. Hoping Hamish or Linda know some more detais of the 2013 event,

Robin.

Already posted this information on the Mureck thread Robin - did you not notice it? =o

"Found out that next year the EU Youth is being held in the Czech Republic from Aug 27th to 5th Sept."
Thanks for this Mike

Quote:When Ian Thorpe was asked about the performance of the Australian team he said that to be critical of the system and organisation did not imply any disrespect for the individual swimmers themselves

What do swimmers think about when they are swimming anway? Or is it best just to stop thinking and just keep swimming? =)
I will be signing off from this discussion by end of today.

A few points though before I refocus on funding issues.

Junior Chess players, their individual coaches where in place, mentors and parents are the one's who should be setting their targets and goals.

Unlike swimming where the result is determined by the time you swim the result in Chess is not determined by how high your grade is.

The result is determined by a number of factors but mostly by how well you play the game.
The target for Ian is to get better at playing the game. We have a few strategies for that. When they combine with good support from the National set up excellent progress occurs. That has been Ian's experience in my opinion. Credit to Alan Tate i.e. for what happened in Turkey 2009. Ian came back a stronger player. The other juniors on that trip were also an important part in that. They know who they are. That situation combined with Ian's learning/spiritual push to aspire to go higher.
If the national set up takes over entirely and imposes grading targets/limits/barriers then I consider they may well become a hindrance to progress with some feeling they are being given too much to chew on too quickly. I suggest all juniors focussing on getting better at the game. Too much attention on grade may hinder your progress. Individual coaches who know their student can set them targets if necessary.
After that I'd wish that all get behind the juniors selected who have proven themselves through talent and hard effort to be the best players in our country at their respective agegroups. There are none selected for Euro and World Youth that don't deserve to be there.
Angus
Quote:Unlike swimming where the result is determined by the time you swim the result in Chess is not determined by how high your grade is.

Sorry but I have no idea what point you are trying to make here: you are comparing things that are not the same i.e. a time in a race with a grade. To compare like with like you would need to compare a swimmers PB (personal best) time to a chess players grading, or the result of a race with the result of a game.

The results of a race is determined by a swimmers performance in that individual race and not by their PB, just as in chess. It may be true that a swimmer with a better PB is more likely to do better - again the same as in chess.