Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM
It will be too late to add this as a motion at the AGM. I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you propose as a motion anyway but I would like the AGM to acknowledge the fantastic success of this year's Scottish Championships and let the unbelievably generous benefactor know that his donation was greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoyed playing in my wee section but I also enjoyed seeing so many top players taking part in a well organised event, in exquisite surroundings and with a great atmosphere.

Perhaps, it can be added to AOCB.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Good idea. Where there's a will, there's a way. And chess players are nothing if not creative??
JMcNicoll Wrote:Gary, you're just not looking hard enough,
open the CS info on the main menu,
then click on AGM notice and all that you wish to find is there, I think.
It's a bit of a shame ther are some post's with no candidates attached to them and, indeed, posts which I was unaware were up for re-election. An advisory of which posts were available and a short description of the responsibilities that each post required would have been nice. Conspiracy theorists may say that would be because the incumbents would wish to choose the sucessors carefully.
I see a Hamish Glen is up for president, would it be too much to ask that he could introduce himself to the wider chess community with a short statement before the AGM outlining why he is the best and only candidate for the job?

Hi John,

All posts are up for re-election. The only position where the incumbent actively sought and vetted their own successor is Mac and I think we can all understand why! There was criticism last time when we did a list of vacant positions as people argued it made it look like no other position could be applied for. I am happy to consider that for next year.

I agree it would be a good idea for a short notice of what each Director does. Definitely something to consider

I can answer why Hamish is the only candidate. He was the only one to be nominated by anyone! I did hear murmurings of an East Coast candidate but it did not materialise.

As always if someone is interested in one of the vacant positions then we will take their nomination from the floor. This is not the ideal way to do it but it is preferable to having a gap.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:The only position where the incumbent actively sought and vetted their own successor is Mac and I think we can all understand why!

Not sure why it was not publicised that a long standing director was standing down and that he himself got to select his replacement and it was not opened up to the wider membership.
Derek

As far as I'm aware the position of finance director is still open to the wider membership, as it should be, should they wish to stand. I have simply been asked by the current finance director, if I am happy to be put forward as a candidate for election at the AGM.

If any members are not happy with me taking on the role, then I would imagine they simply turn up (or send their proxies??) and vote against my election to the position. Should the vote go against I would imagine the AGM would then go to the floor to seek a suitable applicant.

Obviously, if prior to the AGM an alternative candidate was to emerge, who had the popular backing of the membership then I would be quite happy to step aside.

DGC
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
David, the point I am making is a point of principle and nothing to do with your specific nomination. The point stands no matter who was being nominated or whatever the post. The issue is do with the way that the vacancy was filled and the secrecy around it and not who was picked.

I am more than happy that it is you who will be undertaking the role and am sure you will do a great job. =)
Derek Howie Wrote:The issue is do with the way that the vacancy was filled and the secrecy around it

1. The position is not yet filled.
2. There's more than a week until the AGM, which gives plenty time for objections.
3. If anyone else wishes to put their name forward prior to the AGM or at the meeting, I'll happily stand against them or stand aside.

As for "secrecy", perhaps it's less to do with conspiracies and more to do with the selflessness and humility of the present incumbent of the position.
Derek Howie Wrote:David, the point I am making is a point of principle and nothing to do with your specific nomination. The point stands no matter who was being nominated or whatever the post. The issue is do with the way that the vacancy was filled and the secrecy around it and not who was picked.

I am more than happy that it is you who will be undertaking the role and am sure you will do a great job. =)

Hi Derek, I completely agree with you.

David will make an excellent Finance Director but the vacancy could have been communicated much better. However, communication is something that everyone is unhappy with. (Check the Junior thread on a motion for the AGM ;|)

Hopefully, there might be some more disclosure in the Accounts as I have pressed for, for a long time and it always falls on deaf ears.

JMcNicoll Wrote:It's a bit of a shame ther are some post's with no candidates attached to them and, indeed, posts which I was unaware were up for re-election. An advisory of which posts were available and a short description of the responsibilities that each post required would have been nice.

John, I completely agree. In fact, I have approached several CS Directors highlighting the fact there is no job description or roles and responsibilities for any of the Directorships. I was quoted that some kind of Constitutional review was looking at it but I have yet to see it materialise.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I think a little investigation would reveal that job descriptions for directors already exist.
eg Technical Director:
1. To inform arbiters and organisers of current Laws and CS rules.
2. To advise arbiters and organisers regarding the application of the Laws, Swiss pairings, etc.
3. To monitor arbiter activity in Scotland. To maintain a list of qualified arbiters and encourage others to obtain or improve level of qualification.
4. To arrange courses for the training of arbiters where appropriate.
5. To review the operation of matters of interest to arbiters and propose changes as appropriate.
6. To make decisions regarding any dispute which may arise in the conduct of events under the control of Chess Scotland.
7. To assist organisers and arbiters by maintaining information about players whose behaviour gives cause for concern.
8. To monitor and comment on FIDE decisions and policies regarding the Laws and tournamentpractice.
9. To communicate with FIDE regarding matters affecting arbiters.

Please don’t read something dictatorial into para 6. In practice, it means that the Arbiters’ Committee can assist in resolving technical disputes.

Likewise, I was under the impression that it was well known that there would be a vacancy for Finance Director. It is surely quite normal for a board to propose a candidate whom it considers suitable (reminder – I’m not a member of the Board).
Hi Ken, can you link me to the job descriptions or point me in the direction of them. You seem to be the only man who knows where they are... (based on Andy's earlier post) where have you hidden them? =)

Edit to add: I decided to do some digging and I think I found what you were referring to:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/downloads/csinfojan04.zip">http://www.chessscotland.com/downloads/csinfojan04.zip</a><!-- m -->
Is there anything more current?

Ken_Stewart Wrote:Likewise, I was under the impression that it was well known that there would be a vacancy for Finance Director. It is surely quite normal for a board to propose a candidate whom it considers suitable (reminder – I’m not a member of the Board).

I consider myself a fairly active member of CS and admittedly I had heard rumour that Mac would be stepping down. Usually, there would be some sort of annnouncement from a 'Board' be it a Board of Directors of a listed Company or even a Social Club when nominations opened for new Office Bearers/Board Members. It would certainly be communicated before the AGM and by means other than word of mouth. I'm sure you would agree?

At any rate, I have no quibbles with the nominee for FD but lets learn from the process and move on.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!