Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Candidate Master title?
I was wondering who I should contact with regard to applying for the Candidate Master title from FIDE?
I imagine as with other (better!) titles it has to be done through the national body?!

Thanks in advance,
Andy Burnett
The Candidate Master title is purely a vanity title introduced by Stewart Reuben. It has no value whatsoever to an event. I don't know what the Chess Scotland policy on these titles is (they pay for all others) but I would certainly vote against CS paying for these.

This is not personal but it really is as close to a meaningless title as you can get.
Hi Andy,
Do you want to play at The British - there are still 3 places available from Scotland. Big Grin
Alex McFarlane Wrote:The Candidate Master title is purely a vanity title introduced by Stewart Reuben. It has no value whatsoever to an event. I don't know what the Chess Scotland policy on these titles is (they pay for all others) but I would certainly vote against CS paying for these.

This is not personal but it really is as close to a meaningless title as you can get.

Alex,

Policy is CM and WCM are not paid for by CS
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:The Candidate Master title is purely a vanity title introduced by Stewart Reuben. It has no value whatsoever to an event. I don't know what the Chess Scotland policy on these titles is (they pay for all others) but I would certainly vote against CS paying for these.

This is not personal but it really is as close to a meaningless title as you can get

I understand it's of no value to an event, but as far as I am concerned (and this is not persoanl Tongue ) it is far more meaningful than, for example, WFM. For that matter, isn't FM pretty meaningless nowadays as it only requires a rating rather than norms? 100 point difference isn't that huge
:\

In any event, it does get free membership for various chess sites - so, if I'm willing to pay for it, how do I go about applying for it (again, CS application?)? I seem to remember Paul Roberts getting his CM at the SNCL a year or 2 back, possibly Phil Giulian too (although I thought he was FM?!)
lara barnes Wrote:Hi Andy,
Do you want to play at The British - there are still 3 places available from Scotland. Big Grin

Hmmm, tempting Lara, especially as my sister lives in Bedlington...I might get back to you on this one soon, thanks =)
Adam Bremner would also like to know how to apply for the CM title... given he will be applying for it next year when he loses our bet =).
andyburnett Wrote:if I'm willing to pay for it, how do I go about applying for it

Andy, All that's needed is an email to FIDE Titles. If you are happy to pay the fees below just say here and we'll send it off.

Candidate Master is 50 Euros. However since an application now would be within 60 days of the next FIDE Congress they bump it by 50% to 75.

You were published over 2200 FIDE - Oct 2007 so should qualify.

1.3 Those titles gained by achieving a published or interim rating at some time or other:

1.31 FIDE Master ≥2300
1.32 Candidate Master ≥2200
1.33 Woman FIDE Master ≥2100
1.34 Woman Candidate Master ≥2000
andyburnett Wrote:
Quote:The Candidate Master title is purely a vanity title introduced by Stewart Reuben. It has no value whatsoever to an event. I don't know what the Chess Scotland policy on these titles is (they pay for all others) but I would certainly vote against CS paying for these.

This is not personal but it really is as close to a meaningless title as you can get

I understand it's of no value to an event, but as far as I am concerned (and this is not persoanl Tongue ) it is far more meaningful than, for example, WFM. For that matter, isn't FM pretty meaningless nowadays as it only requires a rating rather than norms? 100 point difference isn't that huge
:\

In any event, it does get free membership for various chess sites - so, if I'm willing to pay for it, how do I go about applying for it (again, CS application?)? I seem to remember Paul Roberts getting his CM at the SNCL a year or 2 back, possibly Phil Giulian too (although I thought he was FM?!)

Not quite, FM and WFM can be used by organisors as titled players for norms, CM and WCM can't. FM and WFM are useful to us!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Well I already have a title with "master" in it. Big Grin Unfortunately it's preceded by "Web". Sad