Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Championships
Nice one Alex, sterling work.

Am i right in thinking the reduced entry fee deadline applies to the Open event only?
Over 20 titled players now - so should be good norm chances for Scotland's up and coming young players (and others!).

Lord Kirkwood has agreed to sponsor a Best Game Prize (£250) and a Giant Killer (£50) (both in the Open).
Its time to start pushing the Scottish!

Some interesting numbers

At the time of writing there are 12 countries represented
There are 10 GMS, 9 IMs, 5 FMs, 3 WFMs = 27 titled players.

I'll say that again, there are 27 TITLED players.

We have already surpassed the markers laid down by Edinburgh a few years ago

This years Open is shaping up to be something special. I am dreading keeping the servers up for the live games Tongue

Want to be part of the Worlds Oldest Continuously run national championships?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:This years Open is shaping up to be something special. I am dreading keeping the servers up for the live games Tongue

Looks fantastic! Smile Maybe see if our friends at CCP will let us use their Blade servers for a week or so? Big Grin

Hope the website will be alright - I'd imagine it will be but I must confess that I've never hosted a website that's quite so popular, so I don't know for sure. :\ Well done Chess Scotland/Benefactor & Alex! ;P
Andy,
Would like to play but £85 is a bit too steep for me with India coming up!!
Up to 88 players, 34 of which are titled. The testing on the new software went really well yesterday and I am pleased with it. Bug reports submitted and have already been actioned!

We have 88 players, just a wee push to go and we can hit that magical 100! Really pleased to see our norm chasers have entered as well.

Chased up the GBOR up yesterday as it has nearly been a year since we first put our claim in for the worlds oldest continuously run national chess event. Still waiting for an answer on that one and have asked if I can put a claim in for the longest it has taken them to verify a record...

Back to the event, we now have 14 countries represented including a party from Iceland!

Here is a question to get you all going. How many former Scottish Champions do we have in the field and can you name them (no cheating!)
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Entry now well over 100 for the Open/Championship.

See the website for parking offers (News Section)

Lord Kirkwood has again added a best game and giant killer prize.
Does anyone know what will be happening with the U1750 Championship? At the moment I am the only entrant so I am assuming that if it stays that way it will not be running.
Calum McGillivray Wrote:Does anyone know what will be happening with the U1750 Championship?
Yes the players I might have expected to enter this are playing in the main event.

As things stand (though I think there is another entry) this event would be merged with the U1500. The U1750 could be an All Play All followed by a 2 round swiss.

We will see how many entries arrive over the weekend before making a decision.
Lord kirkwood has very generously donated £250 for a Best Game Prize at the Championships. I have started a new thread on this topic.