Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euroyouth Bulgaria 2011
1. Nf3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. c4 Nf6 4. g3 Be7 5. Bg2 b6 6. Nc3 Bb7 7. O-O dxc4 8. Qa4 Nbd7 9. Qxc4 O-O 10. Bf4 c5 11. dxc5 Nxc5 12. Rfd1 Qc8 13. Nd4?! Bxg2 14. Kxg2 Qb7 15. Nf3 Rc8 16. Rc1

The play over doesn't put all moves in correct notation. eg the last move there should be Rac1 rather than Rc1. This is not just being pernickity since it means the game wont cut and paste into chessbase since it objects to that move.

[pgn]1. Nf3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. c4 Nf6 4. g3 Be7 5. Bg2 b6 6. Nc3 Bb7 7. O-O dxc4 8. Qa4 Nbd7 9. Qxc4 O-O 10. Bf4 c5 11. dxc5 Nxc5 12. Rfd1 Qc8 13. Nd4?! Bxg2 14. Kxg2 Qb7 15. Nf3 Rc8 16. Rc1[/pgn]

[pgn]1. Nf3 d5 2. d4 e6 3. c4 Nf6 4. g3 Be7 5. Bg2 b6 6. Nc3 Bb7 7. O-O dxc4 8. Qa4 Nbd7 9. Qxc4 O-O 10. Bf4 c5 11. dxc5 Nxc5 12. Rfd1 Qc8 13. Nd4?! Bxg2 14. Kxg2 Qb7 15. Nf3 Rc8 16. Rac1[/pgn]

How does the first one know to display Rac1 without being told - can it spot good moves!
David G Congalton Wrote:I was wondering if the SNCL offered an opportunity for our junior internationals (and those on the verge) to play as part of a team.

By coincidence this was discussed at the SJC AGM back in August & agreed that if we can get the teams together that SJC would like to enter junior teams - Michael was looking into this,
This might have a rather severe knock-on effect on the Aberdeen and Ayr teams which played in division 4 last season. If you have a good look, quite a large number of juniors who represent Scotland already play in the SNCL.
Andy McCulloch Wrote:This might have a rather severe knock-on effect on the Aberdeen and Ayr teams which played in division 4 last season. If you have a good look, quite a large number of juniors who represent Scotland already play in the SNCL.

That's a good point, Andy. When it was discussed at the SJC AGM, this was acknowledged but it was thought that it may be possible to put together a team for juniors who are not part of a SNCL team.
First of all, Andy, can you please move that SNCL stuff to a new page please?

Round 8- 4 and a half points. A good day but it should have been more. This was the first day that Alan and I were 100% happy with all ten boards when we left the hall with everyone else as usual at 3.10. We felt a really good day was in the offing. Jamie- solid position but felt game moving away from him, wisely agreed an early draw. Ali, always solid as usual, slight edge, draw agreed. Cristinsa-at last ! Nice position, no time trouble, dictates play with timely piece sac for 3 pawns, opponent folds in bad position. She has been much more chatty and confident in the last few days and we could feel this coming. Andrew-wild game again which was lost in tactics against a very strong opponent. Murad- It's well known from a previous post on the noticeboard I am a big fan and today he showed why. Took control of game with well planned tactical attack, completely outplaying opponent, hopefully this game will appear here in next couple of days. Kai- Totally dominated whiteside of catalan, gradually squeezing his opponent off the edge of the board and winning in just under 4 hours. He has probably been our most consistent player and could easily have scored more. Hamish- He is kicking himself for allowing a great opportunity to slip. B,B and 7 pawns and in control v R,B and 5 pawns, he misplayed it and allowed opponent back in, before Hamish blundered and gave away the full point. Monica, her time trouble escapades finally caught up. Fine until the clock came into play, blundered, battled on but fairly beaten. Anna-always slightly worse and a pawn down in a vastly inferior endgame, her new confidence in this department nearly got her something her play deserved as she aggressively went on the attack but agonisingly couldn't quite do it as her clock ticked down at 4 hrs play. Another great effort and her all round play has improved a ton. She deserves more points than she has at present. Carl now feels that he can get something against anyone and confidently held his 1900 odd opponent fairly comfortably, the full point wasn't far away either. We are now scoring in all areas of the team and will be all out for a good last round. Been dealt 8 blacks by the chess gods in the last round plus some tough pairings which doesn't help but we shall see.

Robin.
Hi Robin,

Great reports you've been putting onto the notice board. I'm sure the team will get serious points again today (above 30%)

Now for the bad news....

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Since you might not receive the text I sent you earlier.

We have not been able to pay your hotel bill for 21 and 22 September. The hotel are adamant that the bill has to be paid on site on not remotely via my credit card.

Sorry about this, can you get receipts again and I will re imburse you on your return

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Round 9-4 and a half points, another good day. Anna- solid position throughout, draw agreed in 2 hours. Kai-continued where he left off yesterday, winning easily in the end. Jamie- always better, won easily in pawn endgame. Andrew- short of time in tactical game, draw agreed. Murad- played the best boy in his section I have seen in the whole tournament and was always defending, lost in just over 3 hours. Monica- ok until leaving herself an impossible number of moves to reach the time control, blundered, lost in 3 and a quarter hours. Hamish, a good game, looked slightly worse when he trapped opponents queen, winning. Cristina- back to the same old story i'm afraid, ok out of opening, bad time trouble, blunders, loses. Ali- Lost in a rook and pawn endgame after being slightly worse all game. Carl- mad game where advantage switched sides many times, Carl is winning at end but blunders short of time, draw agreed.

Robin.
On a more personal note I would just like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this whole trip and have had a truly wonderful group to share it with.

Robin.
Well done to you and the players. It is a very hard event and can be quite a challenge. Good to see some of the players who got off to a slow start having the character to dig in and get results in the second half - really pleased to see Jamie get the win in the last round.

I would be very interested to hear your assessment Robin (and Alan) of the area's the scottish players need to work on?

My feeling is that at these events there is a different style of play, with perhaps better technical skills or opening knowledge, requiring perhaps a more solid/defensive approach than demanded of juniors in typical scottish events. I ask this not in any way meant to be critical of the players (or any one else) rather as a question to stimulate a discussion so that perhaps we can try and find out what we can do to help the players make the transition from local to international events.
Thanks Mike,

I am going to write a full report here in the next couple of days of our trip which will cover a lot of your points. We think we have a very good system now in place but one that we will be improving again on our next trip. CS members have a right to know everything.

Robin.