Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email Invites to Tournaments
I have a quick question:

I am emailed each year regarding Lothians & Edinburgh Congresses with the tournament entry form. Why am I only emailed regarding these tournaments each year? I would prefer to receive an email invitation to all congresses not just those of Chess Edinburgh.

I don't even know how Chess Edinburgh got my email address... unless from Chess Scotland (not sure I gave permission :\ ). Can this list be utilised for all congresses? Perhaps its just that tournament organisers are not aware of this email list but Chess Edinburgh are and are using it effectively.

Any thoughts? I like to receive an email as it I am lazy and its easier to then enter rather than go to the calendar and download the entry form. 8)
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
The entry secretary for the Lothians and Edinburgh Congresses is also the CS Membership Secretary (Dick Heathwood), hence why he has the email addresses.

It could be utilised for other events, if the tournament Directors wanted to. Some other events do send emails, such as Dundee. It's really up to each event I think.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:The entry secretary for the Lothians and Edinburgh Congresses is also the CS Membership Secretary (Dick Heathwood), hence why he has the email addresses.

It could be utilised for other events, if the tournament Directors wanted to. Some other events do send emails, such as Dundee. It's really up to each event I think.

In that case can any tournament organisers post if they are aware of this email list as I am curious as to why they don't utilise it. Where is the downside? =|

Also, if it is because Dick is the Entry Secretary and Membership Secretary of Chess Edinburgh and Chess Scotland respectively shouldn't I have been asked first before my information was used?
David, I can't speak for CS or Lothians but Dundee & Angus email everyone who has previously entered or enquired about our congress (and for whom we have up-to-date email addresses). Anybody who hasn't played here before or that we don't have an address for is welcome to let me know and I'll happily include them in our circulars.

You probably addressed your own question when you said
Quote:not sure I gave permission
. Organisers have to keep in mind that a) not everyone wants to be sent emails without their consent, and b) for that reason and data protection organisers can't /shouldn't pass email addresses on. I was asked a few years ago for D&A's email addresses for (I think) Lothians but I declined bcause those individuals hadn't given (or been asked for) permission for their details to be passed on.

If you (or anyone else) want to be included in D&A updates feel free to send your email address to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:director@dundee-congress.co.uk">director@dundee-congress.co.uk</a><!-- e -->
David Deary Wrote:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:The entry secretary for the Lothians and Edinburgh Congresses is also the CS Membership Secretary (Dick Heathwood), hence why he has the email addresses.

In that case can any tournament organisers post if they are aware of this email list as I am curious as to why they don't utilise it. Where is the downside? =|

Also, if it is because Dick is the Entry Secretary and Membership Secretary of Chess Edinburgh and Chess Scotland respectively shouldn't I have been asked first before my information was used?

Well I know where you're coming from... but if you didn't want your email address to be used by Chess Scotland then you should have probably said that (not saying you don't want it to be - just addressing the point). I'd rather run an opt-out system, than one which requires endless administration of gathering permission. Dick always says to people that if they don't want to receive emails anymore then to let him know, I think he writes it in the bottom of the emails he sends.

I'm not sure exactly which distribution list he uses either, because it's not the same list as the members email list, since many non-members also get the emails. I think he has compiled a list over the years of those who have attended the events, and used that. Any other Congress could create a similar list. So from that respect I was maybe mistaken in my initial response as to how he gets the addresses.
This does raise an interesting idea of possibly creating a mailing list though, that ever Congress can have access to. It might be a nice marketing tool. Big Grin
I guess the Congresses could approach CS and ask them to send out the email. CS would not be able to give them direct access due to DPA restrictions.
Keith - Thanks for the update on Dundee I never realised there was a mailing list but I will provide an email address and you can add me on. I just like to get an email reminder of tournaments but I can also appreciate that many don't appreciate getting emailed with every tournament.

Andrew - The mailing list idea was what I was getting at and for me it could be quite a powerful tool and could have a marketing use also.

Although I would prefer an opt-in rather than an opt-out as you suggest. My slight niggle is that I am fairly certain I did not give my email address to Lothians or Edinburgh before I was emailed initially with an entry form and invitation. I will need to check though as I am probably wrong.

Derek - I appreciate the DPA restrictions and agree that the email would need to be prepared by the tournament organiser and then sent from CS. Although, I think that having one central mailing list would make more sense than the current situation of several mailing lists for each individual congress.
David Deary Wrote:Derek - I appreciate the DPA restrictions and agree that the email would need to be prepared by the tournament organiser and then sent from CS. Although, I think that having one central mailing list would make more sense than the current situation of several mailing lists for each individual congress.

Agreed, although no harm in getting one from CS and one from the tournament organiser if you are on both lists.
Quote:... one from CS and one from the tournament organiser ...
There are clear advantages to using both methods – a central mailing list to alert the highest number of interested parties to the fact of upcoming congresses and other events, and events sending out their own direct emailing in order to add details and occasional updates.

D&A would use both methods.