Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul MacDonald
Sorry to hear about Paul, and glad he is making progress.
While I was up visiting today, the nurse told me that Paul will probably be moved to a hospital in Glasgow within the next fortnight. I will keep everyone posted when I know some definite details as I am sure there must be many fellow players and friends from the chess world who would like to visit him there,

Robin
While up visiting at the hospital today the nurse told me that (unconfirmed) Paul will be moved to the Southern General in Glasgow on Monday. I have asked them to phone David Deary or myself to confirm details. When the ward etc in the Southern is confirmed, David or I will let everyone know. I am sure the big man will appreciate anyone from our chess family visiting him as support, encouragement and communication are a vital part in his recovery. Besides, he must be getting fed up with my blethering,

Robin.

What do you mean, only Paul is getting fed up!!
Robin,

That is excellent news. The southern has a fantastic stroke clinic. Watch the difference in his recovery now!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi all,

I just found out about this yesterday. Just wanted to wish Paul all the best. I look forward to facing his O'Kelly Sicilian in the near future.

Cheers

Dom
Dominic,

Paul will have a wee bit of time on his hands now and if I know him he will be spending it adding to his chess armoury. In fact he has a couple of books by his bed right now.....but I'm not saying which ones!

Robin.
Paul is now in ward 56 of the Southern General in Glasgow. Visiting times 14.30-15.30 and 18.30-19.30 weekdays.
Weekends 14.30-16.00 and 18.30-20.00,

Robin.
Gary Gillespie and I visited the (not so big!) man at the Southern General today. I have deliberately not visited Paul for a couple of weeks as he has friends in Glasgow through football, chess and work who all wanted to see him. I can tell you all now that Paul is doing great! His right leg is responding brilliantly to physiotherapy, his right arm is also better but has a long way to go. His speech is the best bit though. He knows what he is trying to say and can manage a few words together but it is usually a bit slurred as if he is a wee bit foo. We are going to bring in David Gillespie as a translator on our next visit. Please try and visit him as every piece of support is vital to our friend's recovery,

Robin.
I'm glad Paul is recovering, good news indeed. Although i'm not so sure about using Paul as an interpreter for Mr Gillespie =|
That is the equivalent of finding the Rosetta stone! Tongue
I visited Paul on Tuesday night with David Deary and was heartened to see that Paul has made enormous progress since I last visited on 11th May. His speech is really improving and he was very animated the whole time we were there. It is frustrating for him when he can't say all that he is trying to say but he seems to be taking everything in his stride. His sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew were visiting too and it was great to see the banter between Paul and his brother-in-law =) I look forwards to my next visit when I am sure Paul will have made even more progress.