Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul MacDonald
This is terrible news. I hope he will be alright. Sad
Wishing Paul all the very best for a good recovery.

Such a genuinely friendly person.
Andy Howie Wrote:Can I please echo what David has just said. The key for Paul's recovery is going to be the support he gets. The recovery from this is slow and very frustrating and he is going to need our support to get through this.

I am trying to trace his mother and brother to let them know as well as inform his work. If anyone has any information that they can give me to help me out It would be greatly appreciated

Just as a wee update, I have managed to contact Paul's Brother. Just waiting for an update this morning on how Paul is
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I visited Paul today from 3 until 4.

Hamish Glen popped in about halfway through the visiting session to see Paul and with five minutes to go Bernie (Paul's brother) appeared. Thanks to Andy's stalker like abilities on Facebook... =o

Paul was sitting up in the chair next to his bed today. He was very responsive but still having issues with his speech. Although we could piece it together and get the jist of what he was saying. His right arm still has little movement - he could move it to a certain height but no further. All in all it was a good visit.

I'd just like to add that Bernie was very grateful for all the support shown by the chess community for Paul. I have also passed on the messages from this forum and the emails and texts I have received with well wishes to Paul.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I visited Paul today from 3-4. David Congalton, David Deary and a friend of Paul's from Glasgow were also there. This was the first time I had seen my very good friend since his stroke and I really wasn't looking forward to it at all. He recognised me right away thankfully. He was in his bed and listened closely and reacted to everything I said. His left side is fine. He has some power in his right leg, his right shoulder and elbow but no power to his right forearm, wrist and hand. He is not able to speak and his stroke has affected the right side of his mouth. The physiotherapist spoke to me and said Paul is definitely making progress already. He walked with her help and a walking frame the whole length of the corridor today, yesterday he only managed a few steps in his ward. I am going to try and speak to the speech therapist tomorrow when I visit. I have promised the big man a buffet night at the Taj indian restaurant in Prestwick on me then a trip up north to visit our friends in Aberdeen stopping off at Dunkeld on the way at our favourite fish and chip shop. These are the type of things he loves best of all. Will keep everyone updated on any progress,

Robin.
Glad to hear that Paul is making some progress. Hopefully he will make a full recovery!

Thanks for the updates guys.
An update on Paul,

Tonight I visited him with Elliot Frew and David M (the legend) Gillespie. Paul didn't recognise David at first as David was sober. Paul is trying to speak today much better than yesterday. He seems to have better control of his mouth and tongue. He is obviously frustrated at his situation but was taking everything in and laughing away with us tonight. He is definitely making progress and I am confident he can continue to do so,

Robin.
Robin, that's excellent news. The key is to keep him positive. He will recover it is just going to take time and patience. If there is one thing I learned it was the body recovers on its time not yours. It is a slow process unfortunately. Keep strong for him and believe!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I visited Paul this afternoon and was very encouraged to find him quite animated in response to my blethering. He's pretty well paralysed down his right side (body and face) and can't articulate very well, but he certainly responds to conversation and is as quick on the uptake as ever. When I asked how he was, he managed to get out 'bug.....', which I was able to fill in. He agreed with my reconstruction, so his wit and humour are all there.

Robin Moore came in and remarked on the improvements he noticed in Paul. Apparently, Paul is able to walk with the aid of a support/frame for a good length of the corridor and is undergoing or about to undergo speech therapy. This is a big advance on the few steps he could manage earlier in the week.

All in all, I left in a more optimistic frame of mind than when I went in. Visitors are obviously good for his morale.

George
I visited Paul today and I am now pleased to tell you he has said a few words. He has been working with the speech therapist and he was trying to tell me about it. Conversation went something like...

Paul "He does.."
Robin "yes, he does?"
Paul "He does..
Robin "yes, he does what Paul?"
Paul "he does...Oh F*****n hell.

It was like a scene from that film The King's speech. The big man is definitely making progress and has a lot more movement in his right leg too although his right arm is much the same. He is getting there a bit at a time and seems to understand me when I am speaking to him,

Robin.