Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul MacDonald
Paul MacDonald was taken ill at the Prestwick congress last night. He was taken immediately to Crosshouse hospital and attended to on his arrival. It appears that he may have suffered a stroke or a mini-stroke. At this time I would ask everyone not to contact the hospital directly. David Deary is in constant contact with Paul's ward and hopefully I will be able to give you all better news in the next few days. If there is anything urgent that you needed to speak to Paul about regarding any junior chess matter could you please contact Andy Howie, Donald Wilson, myself or anyone on the junior board of selectors. All our thoughts are with the big man at this time,

Robin.
Distressing news. When you get a chance, Robin, please pass on my very best wishes to Paul.

George
Thanks George,

Will pass the message on

Andy
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
All the best for a swift recovery. Sad news. Sad
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
That's very sad news.

I wish Paul, (an ex winner of the E.K. Open), all the best, to make a full and speedy recovery.

I am sure Paul has the spirit to do so.

Kind Regards
John Dykes
Please post up progress on Paul, thanks
Paul would be the first to say he wanted to hear the truth so best tell it as it is. Paul has definitely had a stroke. It has badly affected his speech although he is alert and is trying to communicate. He has also lost some power to his right arm and right leg but at this very early stage, there is every hope that he can regain that. Could I ask that if anyone knows the name/address of the company Paul works for based in Glasgow city centre to email Andy Howie or myself asap. We know his job involved working with the Gaelic speaking community, possibly through a contract company linked to the Scottish government,

Robin.
Can I just add to what Robin has said:

I have passed on all the well wishes from this forum and also from the players at the Congress this weekend. I passed over the card signed by all the players and Paul was touched by all the best wishes.The hospital are still trying to contact his next of kin to no avail but we have tried to contact his family via Paul's facebook page.

If anyone would like to visit Paul can they email me (david.deary(at)gmail.com) as I will be pulling together a rota over the next week for visiting times to ensure that not too many of us are there at the one time. It is important that we support Paul and show him that he can get through this.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Can I please echo what David has just said. The key for Paul's recovery is going to be the support he gets. The recovery from this is slow and very frustrating and he is going to need our support to get through this.

I am trying to trace his mother and brother to let them know as well as inform his work. If anyone has any information that they can give me to help me out It would be greatly appreciated
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"