Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th E.K. Weekly Open (new closing date 16th May)
Entries are starting to come in for this year's 5th East Kilbride Weekly Open at the Murray Owen Centre (E.K. chess club's venue), 1 Liddell Grove, Murray, East Kilbride, G75 9AD.

The Dates - five Thursday's - 17th May, 24th May, 31st May, 7th June & 14th June 2012.

This popular tournament holds Scotland's record of having the highest entry (60) for a Weekly Open Chess Tournament, for the following reasons.

We are a 5 round Chessbase.com Scottish Grand Prix Swiss Tournament Event.

We have one of the best, if not THE best, chess club venue's in the West Of Scotland with plenty of light and space for up to 64 entrants to play in comfort.

We have two SCA registered Arbiters running the event, Andy Howie (Fide Arbiter) and Peter Devenny, who have the final say in making the Draw and in any matters of play.

There is a free council car park facing the entrance to the venue, with lighting, which two or three local private higher taxi driver's use as a waiting area, which helps to keep the car park watched.

The 18, 66 and 201 buses stop outside the venue. There is even a bus timetable calculator on the East Kilbride Chess Club website <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ekchess.org.uk/">http://www.ekchess.org.uk/</a><!-- m --> Also at travelinescotland.com/

We supply you with free tea or coffee and a biscuit on a help yourself bases. Juniors (who are not allowed in the kitchen for safety reasons), are provided with one free can of soft drink or small bottle of water, each week.

There is space and sets, in an area, outside the room for analysis. Well away to prevent noise.

A Cup shall be presented to the overall winner and a Cup to the top East Kilbride Chess Club player.
small keepsake trophies shall be given to the cup winners on return of the cups next year.

We have a Guaranteed, modest prize fund of £200 (1st 60, 2nd £40, 3rd £20, Two Grading Prizes of £20, a slow starters prize of £20 and a Junior prize of £20 open to juniors U17 and graded under 1100).

Although our prize fund is modest, we have done this to keep the entry fees, low. £15 or £13 for juniors, CS members and the unwaged.

Even if you miss out on the prizes, you can enter our original free raffle (going back to the early 90s at the E.K. Weekend Open), as a non prize winning entrant, who has stayed for the prize giving. Our friends, Peter & Anne Woods of Chess Suppliers have once again kindly donated two chess books for the free raffle.

Chess Suppliers shall have a book stall at the tournament on Thursday 14th June, where you can look over their book selection. If you need a particular chess book, you can always order it on their website chesssuppliers.co.uk for pick-up at the tournament.

The Tournament was devised in 2008 as part of the clubs 40th Anniversary Tournament, to let the club provide the best Quality and Value we could offer to both our own club players and to chess players from throughout Lanarkshire, Glasgow, Ayrshire and Renfrewshire, as well as anyone else who wishes to enter. The Tournament was never intended as a profit making venture for the club, (although it is part of the club), as no money from the tournament goes outside the tournament account, which after four years of running the tournament is still close to empty.

Entry forms can be downloaded from either the CS tournament page, or the East Kilbride chess club website <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ekchess.org.uk/">http://www.ekchess.org.uk/</a><!-- m -->

Entry forms should only be sent to

John Dykes
28 Arran
St Leonards
East Kilbride
G74 2LA

or email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e --> (make sure you receive a reply confirming that you have entered).

or phone me on 01355 610170

The closing date is Tuesday 15th May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your entry.

The entry list will go public once it reaches 40 entries.

To all who have already played in a previous E.K. Weekly Open, please feel free to add your feedback on this Tournament page, which will help potential chess players who are considering entering the tournament for the first time.

Kind Regards
John Dykes
Tournament Director
Just to clarify the start date of the 5th E.K. Weekly Open, after an entrant sent me an email to enter and double check the start date.

The start date is Definitely 17th May for five consecutive Thursdays without a break this year.

Mind you have the option of a half point bye in the first four rounds. In addition you can get a no point bye in any further round.

Regards
John Dykes
The 5th East Kilbride Weekly Open starts in 3 weeks time (17th May), so now is as good a time as any to enter Scotland's top weekly tournament, for the very reasonable entry fee of £15 or £13 (juniors CS members & the unwaged), for a five round swiss tournament.

Having invited feedback from players who have played in any of the previous E.K. Weekly Open Tournament's, I am a wee bit surprised that all the work and thought that has went into this tournament, that nobody has anything to feedback to other chess players who might be considering entering for the first time.

Remember you can down load entry forms, map directions, and bus timetables from the E.K. club web site at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ekchess.org.uk/">http://www.ekchess.org.uk/</a><!-- m --> or if you only need an entry form, you can down load it from here, at the Chess Scotland tournament web page calendar.

You can enter by sending it to John Dykes, 28 Arran, St Leonards, East Kilbride, G74 2LA

Or by emailing the details to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e -->

Or by phoning me on 01355 610170

The details I need are:- Name, Club, Grade, Pnum (if known), If a bye is needed and contact details, if we need to contact you concerning the tournament.

The entry list will go public when it reaches 40. .......So the quicker everybody enters the quicker the list of entrants will go public.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
John Dykes
Tournament Director
Just to remind everyone, we are in the final two weeks to the closing date of the 15th May for this year's E.K. Weekly Open, which starts on the 17th May.

You still have time to post your entry form to, John Dykes, 28 Arran, St Leonards, East Kilbride, G74 2LA

Or email me the details at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e -->

Or phone me on 01355 610170

You can pay on the first night you are there.

Unfortunately, due to players abusing the system in the last two years, i.e. playing in the tournament and then withdrawing from it, without paying their entry fee, (sadly, both now CS committee members), anyone who does not pay on their first night, shall not be included in the next round.

Remember, if you are playing in the Glasgow Congress and don't fancy four days of chess, you can always take a half point bye in round one of the E.K. Weekly Open. Or you can take a half point bye in the Glasgow Congress on Friday 18th May.

This will be the last (non Allegro) adult tournament, in the West Of Scotland, to take part in before, the Scottish Championships in July.

So if you are looking for a 1st class tournament, in 1st class premises, at an incredibly reasonable entry fee of £15 or £13 (for juniors, CS members, or the unwaged), for a five round swiss Chessbase.com Grand Prix event, then why not join us in Scotland's most popular Weekly Open Tournament.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
John Dykes
Tournament Director
Good Luck to David Congalton and the Prestwick Congress, this weekend.

Remember you can pick up an entry form for the 5th East Kilbride Weekly Open at the Prestwick Congress.

With 12 days to the closing date for entries (15th May), and now less than a fortnight to the start of the tournament (17th May), this is an ideal time to enter.

With three ways to enter, it is even easier than voting in the council elections (and lets hope we get a better turn out).

1. Send your entry form (with or without entry fee), to :- John Dykes, 28 Arran, St Leonards, East Kilbride, G74 2LA

2. Or email me at:- <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e --> with your name, grade, Pnum if known, club and if you need a bye. Also a contact telephone number or email address.

3. Or simply phone me up any day or night, from midday (noon) until 11.00pm on, 01355 610170

Nothing could be simpler and you can even pay your entry fee of £15 or £13 for juniors, CS members or the unwaged, on your first night at the tournament.

You can look forward to a good game of chess in probably the best chess club premises in the West of Scotland with bright, spacious and modern disabled friendly premises. Also free tea and coffee (or can of soft drink or bottle of water for juniors), and free parking.

Expertly run by two CS Arbiters.

Keep in mind the entrants have the power to have the entrants list go public, once it reaches 40 entrants, so the earlier you enter, the earlier you make the list goes public.

After that, I shall, as usual, keep this forum up to date, with a countdown number of how many spaces are left (a maximum of 64 spaces), in the tournament. Last year we had a total of 58 and the year before, a total of 60, with most entries coming in faster, as the tournament closing date approaches.

Can I just thank Jim Frame from Hamilton chess club for his entry and kind donation to the tournament, It's much appreciated and helps to keep the entry fee low.

Remember previous entrants are welcome to leave feedback on this forum, as well as anyone needing to ask anything about the tournament.

Cheers
John Dykes
Tournament Director
NOTICE :- We are in to the final week to enter the 5th E.K. Weekly Open.

We have provided you with a 1st class weekly tournament.

In 1st Class Disabled Friendly Premises.

With two 1st Class CS registered Arbiters.

Free Parking, in a lit car park right facing the venue door.

Free Tea and Coffee on a help yourself bases, we will even provide you with a free biscuit to dook in your tea or even your coffee, if that's your thing.

An analysis area.

A bus stop right outside the venue for the 18, 66 & 201 buses.

A free raffle for non prize winner's who stay for the the prize giving.

We will even assure you a snow free tournament and don't just take that for granted, as we only get 6 month's a year, here in East Kilbride, when we can Guarantee you that.

All this, and yet still one of the most reasonable entry fees for a Grand Prix, five round graded tournament.

Now, if all that doesn't convince you to enter, please leave feedback, what else could we possibly, reasonably offer you, that would make the difference to convince you to enter.

Safer at this stage to enter, by email (the preferred option), to:- <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e --> and look for a reply.

Or phone me on 01355 610170 between noon and 11.00pm, any day up to the closing day of the 15th May.

If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a message on this forum.

Cheers
John Dykes
Tournament Director
The entry list is now shown on both this web page under the 5th East Kilbride Weekly Open and also the East Kilbride Chess club's own web site.

We are approaching the closing date, 15th May and still plenty of places left.

We stand at 38 entries.

The entry fee is £15 or £13 for juniors, CS members and the unwaged.

After that, all you have is your traveling expenses.

We supply free tea and coffee on a help yourself bases or a can of soft drink for juniors.

We also have free parking in a lit council car park, facing the venue.

The Bus stop's right outside the venue for the 18, 66 and 201 buses, with a bus timetable on our club web site.

Excellent Disabled friendly modern bright and roomy premises.

We are one of the few Tournaments with a Guaranteed prize fund as advertised

If you are the most popular weekly tournament, then you must be good.

Why not join us, but be quick as we are approaching the closing date.

Email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e --> (the prefered option), and I shall confirm your entry.

Or phone me on 01355 610170 PM until 11.00pm.

Look forward to seeing you.

Regards
John Dykes
Tournament Director
The closing date has been extended to 11pm tonight.

So there is still time to enter.

We stand at 44 entries.

email me (the prefered option) at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e -->

Or phone me on 01355 610170

You don't want to end up with chess withdrawal symtoms over the next five weeks,

So tonight is last chance to enter,

Regards
John Dykes
Tournament Director
We are into the final hour and a half to enter, in other words last chance saloon.

We now stand at 45 entries, with the latest two.

Jim Doyle 1908 Shettleston cc

Moray Lennox 869 J13 Hamilton cc

email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk">j.dykes@blueyonder.co.uk</a><!-- e --> (the preferred option).

Or phone me up to 11pm on 01355 610170

Cheers
John Dykes
Tournament Director
We have now closed this year for taking entries.

Any future enquiries, call offs or bye's needed, please contact Andy Howie, the chief Arbiter, who will now be in charge of running the tournament.

Andy's email address is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:Andy@akhowie.co.uk">Andy@akhowie.co.uk</a><!-- e -->

Mobile telephone number 07921 810 910

Thank you to all that entered the tournament.

Cheers
John Dykes