Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Anderson
I have some sad news to pass on that George Anderson passed away peacefully at home last week.

George was a long standing member of the Edinburgh Civil Service Club serving as treasurer and secretary for many years.

George's skills were put to good use in his multiple roles as membership secretary for Chess Scotland, entries organiser for Edinburgh Congresses and supporting the Chess Edinburgh Council.

George had his playing successes winning the club championship on three occasions. He was also a regular supporter of local chess tournaments, as well as taking part in Scottish Championship subsidiary tournaments.

George was a skilled woodworker and every year made small trophies using chess pieces from older wooden sets and hand making the plinths from salvaged / donated pieces of wood. George must have made more than fifty of the smaller trophies over the years. A treasured keepsake for those lucky enough to win one. In 2019 George made the Balerno Trophy for Chess Edinburgh which is awarded annually to the junior with the highest grading improvement for the season.

Although not able to attend the club in person and just short of 90 years old, George was still playing online games against club members until very recently.

George will be sadly missed.

The funeral will be at 1pm on Friday 17th March at Mortonhall Crematorium.
Sad to hear. But I only have warm feelings about George, one of Scotland's (and Chess Scotland's) longest, most effective and modestly self-unassuming chess servants. He was the friendliest and most convivial of souls, one who absolutely loved chess and all of its players. Always smiling and always great fun. My condolences.