Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Montgomery
I was advised today that Jim Montgomery passed away last month.

I have no more details but I always remember him as a tough opponent and tactically a very tricky customer.
A short example of his games from the West of Scotland Ch 1989 (Round 2)

White: Jim Montgomery    Black: Eddie Davis
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. Nge2 Qh4 7. Bf4 Bg4 8.
Bxc7 Nxd4 9. O-O Bxc3 10. bxc3 Nxe2+ 11. Bxe2 Bxe2 12. Qxe2+ Qe7 13. Qb5+ Kf8
14. Qxb7 Re8 15. Rae1 1-0

AM
I have only just seen this post and am saddened.Jim was a very strong junior player, who scored the best Scottish result at the 1966 Glorney Cup in Paris and played subsequently at Student International level. 

He and his family (he had married a Czech wife) spent some time in Prague towards the end of the 1970s. Jim worked there in a professional IT capacity but this was certainly an unusual 'migration' from the 'West' to a then quite hard-line communist country (albeit one firmly held down by the USSR, which had sent in the tanks in 1968 and effectively crushed the popular reformist Prague Spring movement). 

Around that time, Jim surprised me by turning up at one of three tournaments I played in through the 1970s in Decin. After the event finished he invited me to spend a day or two in Prague, where I met the family and had a thoroughly good time. They were the most wonderful hosts. My condolences to all those who have lost him.