Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenrothes congress
Just a short update on what's been happening at Glenrothes so far (from memory - I don't give a money-back guarantee on any so-called facts):

In the Open, the top two seeds (Stephen Burns-Mannion and Alan Grant) share the lead on 3/3, so they'll meet tomorrow morning; I'm pretty sure Stephen has white. There are two players just behind on 2½/3: Ian Robertson (no surprise there) and Murad Abdulla (no surprise to those who have been watching his progress over the past couple of years, but remember his published grade is only 1442); I think Murad has had black in both his games (half-point bye in R1), so I surmise he will have white. Another junior doing well is Daniel Thomas, on 2/3.

The Major has two players on 3/3, William Clinton and Andrew McCusker, with David Adam and Dave Stewart half a point behind.

In the Minor, nobody has full points. There are seven or eight players on 2½/3, but I can't recall all their names so I won't risk offending anybody my naming only some.

No real problems so far, and there has been only one draw claim under the two-minute rule.
I have 1/3 and out of the running for the top dog. I had a very lucky draw again against J8 V. Ramazanov who had a clear victory with two passed pawns that fell carelessly. What was impressive though was his post game assessment of the situation before the endgame and his admitance of his failings in the endgame with the passed pawns. Look out round four contestant for this opponent.
Ian,

That is actually a bit of a surprise to me, not the result but that Vagif was not able to convert with an endgame advantage. He really has a very good endgame for a boy of his age,

Robin.
I am hearing some good junior news from Glenrothes. In the Open Murad drew his morning game with Ian Robertson (2092) and Andrew McCusker defeated William Clinton to move to 4/4 in the Major. He is now a point clear of the field so is guaranteed a share of first.
Now here's something. Andrew McCusker, a point clear of the field is offered a draw by his last round opponent and turns it down! Surely the mark of a young man whose confidence is growing daily,

Robin.
Andrew eventually did draw that last round game. I phoned to offer him my congratulations and asked about the previous draw offer. He said it was an opposite coloured bishop ending where he felt he had winning chances but could see nothing similar for his opponent. He lost to me when blundering at the death in the challengers at Perth in a similar situation and I am delighted that he wasn't afraid to go for the full point,

Robin.
Some brilliant results here! Some of these juniors' grades are just lies. =)
Andrew,

They are not lies, they are conservative. Oops, wonder if I am allowed to say conservative and lies in the same sentence? The present Scottish junior squad is an extremely exciting one and Phil Thomas correctly pointed out recently the individual strength at so many agegroups. I am not sure if I have mentioned this before on the noticeboard but I am very keen on the "no draw" strategy being encouraged by a number of coaches. If they don't get to endgames and develop their skills in this area, we will continue to be consistently outplayed by eastern europeans at major championships,

Robin.
robin moore Wrote:They are not lies, they are conservative.

I respect the mathematical equations which determine their grades, but I do think a lot of the top juniors are out-growing their grades rapidly. Big Grin "Lies" in italics is more a figure of speech than anything else - certainly not a suggestion that there is any deliberate attempt to swindle the system.

Whoever is coaching these players is doing a really good job of it... seriously! =)
Andrew,

"Team Andrew Green" is responsible for coaching Murad and Andrew so I guess it's his weekend on the coaching front. However, he can't be there to make moves for them. Confidence is a massive part of the junior game and I am seeing a very significant increase in this in many juniors throughout Scotland,

Robin.