Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glenrothes congress
robin moore Wrote:Andrew,

They are not lies, they are conservative. Oops, wonder if I am allowed to say conservative and lies in the same sentence? The present Scottish junior squad is an extremely exciting one and Phil Thomas correctly pointed out recently the individual strength at so many agegroups. I am not sure if I have mentioned this before on the noticeboard but I am very keen on the "no draw" strategy being encouraged by a number of coaches. If they don't get to endgames and develop their skills in this area, we will continue to be consistently outplayed by eastern europeans at major championships,

Robin.

When a game is drawn prematurely it usually means that one of the two players was incorrect to accept the draw at that point. This is my excuse for my recent 15 move draw.

Before my time Scotland's juniors accepted far too many draws in clearly winning positions, sometimes offering the draw and sometimes accepting the draw. The strongest drive for change has been the younger coaches who remember the days of " a draw is a good result" which led to far too few individual wins

At the Glorney event of 2011 summer there were occasions when Scotland players were in losing positions and found that their draw offer was readily accepted. Most notably in the last match of the U12 event. For once England had not won the tournament with a round to go. The England U12 team played Scotland in the last round and needed to avoid a 6-0 defeat in order to win the tournament. The first game to finish was a win for England. The second result was a few seconds later when England board one took a draw in a clearly winning position.

The point here is that confidence in your own ability is infectious - it spreads rapidly to the opponent(s), they start believing in you too.
I enjoyed the Glenrothes congress this year, & thank you to the team for organising and attending the event. Next years event I was told is 15 - 17 March 2013. For those who have just been down to Blackpool do they know if this date will clash with the congress down there? For Glenrothes's 25th will there be more turning up!
Will there be games available for download from Glenrothes?
Ian Morris Wrote:I enjoyed the Glenrothes congress this year, & thank you to the team for organising and attending the event. Next years event I was told is 15 - 17 March 2013. For those who have just been down to Blackpool do they know if this date will clash with the congress down there? For Glenrothes's 25th will there be more turning up!

Ian, I think it is the same weekend as this year which means they should miss each other
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Adam Bremner Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:Simple Adam, I am in Blackpool

So it is just you who can use them? At the risk of sounding like I am trying to make you redundant, is there not a possibility to "teach" maybe the congress organisers or arbiters how to set them up, so it would take the burden away from you all the time?

On a side note then, didn't realise that it was just you doing all the hard work so I could watch some of these games online! So thanks for doing it =)

Good idea Adam and maybe thsi way we might even get coverage of someting other than the minor Tongue