Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Junior Champs in Mexico
Why is there no Scottish entry ?
https://chess-results.com/tnr809135.aspx...pOtNrwEfcw
Andy, you are too old!!

We can discuss if you are good enough later.
Returning to this with a more sensible answer and as an individual.

I have done some checking on this event since Andy posted his question. Travel to Mexico is not cheap and the cost of accommodation is also a significant factor.
It is within the school year so even if funding was available those willing to go would be limited.

However, the crunch factor, as far as I'm concerned is the number of low rated, especially Mexican, participants. Even allowing for it being an 11 round event, the chances of meeting the proper level of opponents is much reduced. I will be interested to see at the end how many norms were achieved and the scores required to obtain them.
I also noticed the large number of Mexican players. This is not in the spirit of the tournament and didn't happen when I played.
There have been comments made about that. elsewhere. Not unusual for the host nation to have a few extra places but this seems to have gone way above the norm by a factor of 10!
Perhaps Mexico decided to make up the canon fodder that a lot of other countries opted out of providing. Top 50 are all titled players. Scotland has 1 titled player that could have played! 

If you're interested in watching Scotland youth players at world championship events then look out for Supratit Banerjee in 2 weeks time at World Cadets in Georgia. He has a good chance of gaining a podium finish. This would be his 3rd podium at a world chess championships in the last 12 months....I'm not sure many Scots have achieved that feat! Also Daniel Kitaev and Neev Lukhi are playing at World Youth in Italy next month.
Going slightly off-topic but to follow on from Harry’s post, Rishi Vijayakumar is playing in the Fagernes Chess International Autumn 2023, 8-15 October, in the GM Swiss Group. IM Stephen Mannion is also taking part.

There will be live games - Fagernes, Norway
(02-10-2023, 08:39 AM)Keith Rose Wrote: Going slightly off-topic but to follow on from Harry’s post, Rishi Vijayakumar is playing in the Fagernes Chess International Autumn 2023, 8-15 October, in the GM Swiss Group. IM Stephen Mannion is also taking part.

Wow...that's super strong! Good luck Rishi ?

(02-10-2023, 08:39 AM)Keith Rose Wrote: Going slightly off-topic but to follow on from Harry’s post, Rishi Vijayakumar is playing in the Fagernes Chess International Autumn 2023, 8-15 October, in the GM Swiss Group. IM Stephen Mannion is also taking part.

Wow...that's super strong! Good luck Rishi