Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special General Meeting - Good Governance
Walter, grateful for you bumping the thread.

I haven't got around to amending my first post. I'm on family duty today. I'm taking five minutes to post this before Peter Rabbit. 

I am going to drop Motion 1 having had some discussion wirh peers offline and given the precedent with EWP Motion 1 not being able to ammend the constitution I don't think its required now.

My motion 2 will become Motion 1 and effectively be for the following:

Quote:The SGM instructs the Management Board and Council to fulfil the governance required by the Constitution and set a date of before end-May 2022 for this season's AGM

In essence, I want the Association to have an AGM in accordance with the consititution, and the SGM is the route to compel the Management Board to have one.

Unfortunately, with an SGM the scope is quite narrow so I'm opting just to have the one motion. Otherwise it could be ruled incompetent.

To David's point there is nothing in the rules to preclude a hybrid meeting or even a fully virtual one. Walter's point is the key one over technology being capable to cope with both. I expect you could muddle through with Teams or Zoom but it would probably be suboptimal.

I will post again later but my 5 minutes is up!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Initial post is updated, in essence there is now one motion and one purpose of the Special General Meeting to compel the Management Board to act in accordance with the constitution and call an Annual General Meeting. This has been necessary given the inflexibility of an SGM as a vehicle for change, by its very nature it is an exceptional process. This is certainly an exceptional situation with the Association not having held an AGM since November 2019.

If this is successful then an AGM will be called at which members can have their voices heard and make any proposals they have.

Can those members who support this reach out to me here or by email. I have a proforma for supporting members to fill in, to demonstrate their support so we meet the 10 member hurdle.
I support SGM , PNUM 5400, andrew.muir@blueyonder.co.uk
(16-04-2022, 12:02 PM)amuir Wrote: I support SGM , PNUM 5400, andrew.muir@blueyonder.co.uk
I also. 3336.
Hi All,

As a quick update - the SGM request and £100 was lodged with Andy Howie & Ian Brownlee this evening to compel the Management Board and Council to call an AGM.

This was supported by 10 individual CS members & 2 CS club members.

It is regrettable that the members of Chess Scotland are having to compel those charged with governance of the association to hold an AGM in accordance with the constitution.

Cheers,

David
An AGM has been called for 11th June. 

https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/agm-2021/

Given the purpose of the SGM was to call an AGM, I imagine those members who supported it will share my position in that we should withdraw the SGM as an AGM affords members the opportunity to have their say. I will confer with those members before confirming but I believe that is likely outcome.

Cheers,

David