Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jimmy Doyle
I am very sad to report the death of Shettleston ( and later Stepps) club member Jimmy Doyle on March 12th. he supported chess whenever he could and made the long train and bus trips to whatever tournament and match he could. I always remember our games and could never catch him out. In particular his end game skills were legendary and clinical. If you were lucky enough to get to the endgame thats where he would finish you off. 
Jimmy passed away at his care home on March 1st. I would appreciate any comments and tributes here, We all knew a good story about him. In particular his rook endings were phenomenal. Despite being  partially deaf he was one of the most socially minded people I knew.
Ian mentions Jimmy's hearing difficulties. I remember at one 'Scottish' Jimmy confusing his opponent by accepting a draw offer that had not been made. Investigation showed the draw had actually been offered on the board immediately behind Jimmy.
The Glasgow Congress (remember it?) used to be held on the first weekend in November. Jimmy defaulted his round 1 game. This worried everyone as he was a very reliable player and this seemed out of character. Unfortunately, on his way he had failed to hear a firework heading towards him and ended up in hospital after it hit him.
Sad news.
As someone who recalls Jimmy going all the way back to Glasgow League and Tournament matches from the mid-1960s, I'm especially saddened to hear of this news. Certainly in those days, he wasn't just good in the endgame but also tended to prepare very well in the opening. He was one of the friendliest players and opponents that I can recall and an enthusiastic supporter of Scottish chess and its various events well into the 2010s. A danger to anyone, I remember a not long distant game in which he had visiting Belgian IM Jan Rooze in all sorts of trouble that lasted well into the middlegame. This was at an Edinburgh Open Scottish Championships. Jan, who eventually won, confessed to me that he had been thoroughly outplayed and had been exceptionally lucky when Jimmy went wrong in the critcial tactical phase of the game. About that time, Jimmy told me had moved to Barmulloch and we discovered that he lived in the same road where I had grown up from 5-16. Fond Glasgow memories. I'll miss him.
That's very sad. Jimmy was always a stalwart of the chess scene. I think he really enjoyed playing the game. His early h-pawn pushes were legendary and often led to unbalanced positions.
I first spoke to him on the bus to the Renfrewshire open in the early 70s. I told him who my opponent was - a very strong player. Jimmy said you can beat him if you combine against him. But how do I get a good position, I asked. He thought for a moment and said "You combine...".
His greatest success that I remember was in the Grangemouth open. He reached 4/4 playing well, but was Black against Roddy McKay in the last round. Playing one of his 'quiet' openings, Roddy obtained one of these big positions he is well known for. The writing looked on the wall, however Jimmy defending doggedly managed to hold out for a deserved big tournament win.
So saddened to learn of Jimmy's passing. My own memories go back to the old Crowwood Hotel days in the mid 1980's when I was relatively new to chess and learned so much from Jimmy's attacking style. As Walter already mentioned, Jimmy was playing h-pawn up the board whenever he saw a fianchetto - years before Simon Williams started referring to "Harry, the H-pawn". Jimmy was a regular and reliable point scorer for our team at Shettleston and later Stepps in all the leagues - Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire as well as a regular congress player regardless of where they were held! Later, Jimmy moved over to a more central Glasgow Phones club and even when Jimmy's health started to deteriorate, you still needed to have your wits about you facing him in a game and don't under estimate those endgames! A great friend throughout many years who will be sadly missed by us all - RIP.
Saddened to hear this. I didn't know him well personally but we had quite a few encounters and I was never happy to find myself drawn against him as he seemed far stronger than his rating. In particular, he was a very aggressive and dangerous player despite the seemingly innocuous opening choices. It does not seem that long ago that he told me he was travelling to every congress in Scotland that year via public transport - that is serious commitment. He will be a major loss to our national chess scene (when it eventually comes out of hibernation). Nevertheless, I am sure his legacy will live on through some of the great games he played that are thankfully captured in the online databases. RIP.
He always used S for the knight because he didn’t like K or N. S = Springer in German.
Sad he’s gone
I am going to organise some sort of memorial OTB tournament for him so anyone who would like to help or with any ideas please either post me or get in contact
I remember him well; he was everywhere. An outstanding supporter of chess tournaments. I don't think I ever managed to win against him.
Jimmy was one of the characters on the circuit that didn't realise how much he influenced other players. Up and coming juniors always wanted to get past him to show real progress. Aggressive play and one of the players you always wanted to see how his games were going. Last league game I played a few years back shortly before he went into a home: he had a tummy bug, so I was going to suggest he go home early and offer a draw, thought only a few moves played so would be best if I l play some more., I blundered and had to resign. Annoyed at the time but on reflection the main thing as he got away early. Definitely up for a tourney for Jim. RIP