Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum...
Funny as in weird not ha ha.

The CS Forum has been dead for years. Like most people I seldom even bothered to look at it, let alone post.
When the 1st discussion thread for years came up (eligibility) I thought I would chip in.

What is weird is how the moderators, including the CS President, have tried to shut the discussion down, resorting to threats and personal attacks on more than 1 occasion. Not directed at me, other than a few sarcasm fails, and anyway from experience on other sites I have learned not to get too bothered about what gets posted on them about or to me.

But if the CS Forum is ever going to be more than a waste of space I suggest the culprits do the following
1) take 5 minutes to look back through your posts on that thread and see if you can take any learning points about your style
2) in future pause a minute before typing emotional outbursts

Perhaps killing any discussion was exactly the objective, in which case well done guys.
Willie, there is a lot of good stuff in your post. I expect it won't be long until its been moderated.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I had hoped that this post may have been of interest to some

Wednesday, November 17th, 2021, 12:29 pm
I enjoyed watching this one https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2021-eur..._Frederick

posted here https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/show...4#pid20264

Sadly, it generated no response.

The forum seems to be currently doing a much better job of generating a topic of interest to its contributors.
Cheer up Matt Smile Andy M played through another of Freddie's games and posted about it, he just didn't post it as a reply.
Did Freddy miss that 65 Bc4+ fork - I did as well! Too busy watching for Rook checks, pins and Knight forks to worry about bishops. But a good controlled game overall.
(08-04-2022, 11:22 AM)Willie Rutherford Wrote: Funny as in weird not ha ha.

The CS Forum has been dead for years. Like most people I seldom even bothered to look at it, let alone post.
When the 1st discussion thread for years came up (eligibility) I thought I would chip in.

What is weird is how the moderators, including the CS President, have tried to shut the discussion down, resorting to threats and personal attacks on more than 1 occasion. Not directed at me, other than a few sarcasm fails, and anyway from experience on other sites I have learned not to get too bothered about what gets posted on them about or to me.

But if the CS Forum is ever going to be more than a waste of space I suggest the culprits do the following
1) take 5 minutes to look back through your posts on that thread and see if you can take any learning points about your style
2) in future pause a minute before typing emotional outbursts

Perhaps killing any discussion was exactly the objective, in which case well done guys.

If you could be as kind as to indicate where I have tried to close down discussion I would appreciate it. I have not been around for most of the discussion as I was busy arbiting in Berlin and only recently entered the fray with a rather lively debate with Walter.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Quote:Willie Rutherford said

What is weird is how the moderators, including the CS President, have tried to shut the discussion down, resorting to threats and personal attacks on more than 1 occasion

I must take exception to the "have tried to shut the discussion down" phrase. 
At no time did I attempt to close any part of the discission down.  

Can you specify exactly where/when I actually attempted to close the discussion thread down? 

Yes, I did make a comment that some may have found unpalatable, but I said what I thought and I feel I am entitled to be free to do so.
Andy and Jim

I think the point being made was about moderator aggression.
Would you agree that aggression in management responses would deter people from posting?
(Yes, management and moderators are the same here - shouldn't this be changed?)

Here is Andy encouraging open debate:

" I promised myself I would not get embroiled in this but after reading the most recent post,  I don't think I have ever seen so much bovine excrement hashed together to form coherent sentences.

So lets deal with some facts instead of some fiction. "

No fiction was of course demonstrated, just some attempts to wrongfoot a casual reader.

Andy and Jim, do you think ordinary members posting want to be accused of causing presidential "nausea and disgust", of writing "ABSOLUT DRIVEL", or of scaring away other posters?

There have been no aggressive posts from ordinary members. (Even though Andy implied there were).

I agree with the point Willie made.
Given how unwelcome this forum discussion seems to be, it is at least odd to read presidential musings about how few people post anyway.

That "highly vocal few" "...Hardly a truly representation of CS membership and participation on the Forum."

Really? According to your calculation Jim, there were 77 posts outwith that "highly vocal few". Even with none of that vocal few, that should be considered as not a bad level of interest out of 200 members.
Of course some have come in saying they'd been reading the discussions; posting is not the only indication of interest .

All part of a negative menu of tropes. Members are being scared off by other members...there's so few people posting anyway...
=Never mind the discussions, folks!

The fewer people discuss these motions (actually Motion 1 is more an announcement than a motion) the more likely the management proposals (including the departure from the constitution highlighted by David) will get an easy ride.