Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul MacDonald
Dear All,

I got some tragic news tonight from one of Paul's friends, Paul passed away earlier tonight at 7:30pm in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. 
I will update on funeral arrangements as I get them. As I understand it is likely to be a cremation with his ashes going down to Liverpool where his family are.

I would appreciate it if you could share the news amongst fellow chess players as he was a popular guy within chess in Scotland.

I'm still a bit emotional so will post my memories of him here at a later date.

Best wishes,

David
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I really don't know what to say. I am a bit lost for words at the moment.

I knew Paul both as an Arbiter and a player and I loved working with him. He had a wicked sense of humour and I kind of felt sorry for the third arbiter when we were working together as they tended to be the butt of our jokes.

I remember when he had his stroke, but I remember more when he turned up at the Scottish a couple of months later. The look on his face when players were coming up to him to shake his hand and see how he was will live with me. I even wrote about it in my blog for the Scottish http://whodbe.blogspot.com/2012/07/scott...day-6.html

Paul has been seen less and less of late and that has been a real shame. He was a real character and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Condolences to Bernie and the rest of his family.

RIP Paul, you will be missed
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
This is terrible news though l know Paul had been unwell for a while. we were friends and we always had a good laugh ( usually at my chess playing ). My overriding memories of Paul  are two fold, one at the Lanark open we were both determined to beat each other , only to fall about laughing when it ended in a draw , and the other at the SNCL when he was genuinely moved by how much everyone made a point to talk to him after his stroke. A genuinely strong player and true gentleman of the game and a great sport (and laugh) He will be sorely missed and a true example of how the game should be played, and not just over the board
Sad to hear that. Liked big Paul.
Rest in peace my friend we'll all miss you
I'm very sorry to hear about Paul. He was an absolutely lovely big guy.
Paul's funeral will be at the Maryhill Crematorium at 1:30pm on Monday 27th July. It is limited to 20 people with 15 already going.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Hi David
do you know who's going from the chess world? or is it family only?