Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Online Scottish Chess Tour Allegro & Blitz - 3rd & 4th July
The next Scottish Chess Tour events take place over the weekend 3rd and 4th July.

Friday 3rd  July - Friday Evening Blitz 
9 Rounds
19:30 to 21:30

Saturday 4th July - Allegro
5 Rounds
10:00 to 15:10

Both events hosted on Lichess.org

Both events are now open to all Chess Scotland rated players and recent Scottish Chess Tour participants.
Other entries are by invitation.

The Allegro event will be Chess Scotland graded.

Click here for further information or visit us on Facebook.
Hi Dave,

What are the safeguards to stop computer assistance? I'm not convinced online games should ever count for OTB rating under any circumstances even exceptional ones such as these. I'm not convinced computer assistance can actually be stopped online. At least OTB you can detect any computer assistance or suspect through an opponents behaviour. Much harder to detect and catch cheaters online I would have thought. I am considering playing on Saturday but need to speak to my better half.

Also one for a CS Director, would CS grading online games not require some ratification by the Management Board. If so, I would like to review the minutes of said meeting. Particularly around the integrity of the system as OTB play is very different to Online. Ideally you would have two separate Allegro ratings rather than a combined one given the different modes.

D2
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
(29-06-2020, 03:24 PM)David Deary Wrote: Hi Dave,

What are the safeguards to stop computer assistance? I'm not convinced online games should ever count for OTB rating under any circumstances even exceptional ones such as these. I'm not convinced computer assistance can actually be stopped online. At least OTB you can detect any computer assistance or suspect through an opponents behaviour. Much harder to detect and catch cheaters online I would have thought. I am considering playing on Saturday but need to speak to my better half.

Also one for a CS Director, would CS grading online games not require some ratification by the Management Board. If so, I would like to review the minutes of said meeting. Particularly around the integrity of the system as OTB play is very different to Online. Ideally you would have two separate Allegro ratings rather than a combined one given the different modes.

D2

Hi Dave,

It is a Chess Scotland decision to grade online Allegro competitions. We were asked if we would like to submit our games and we agreed to do so.

Regarding stopping assistance, not just computer assistance, we just have to do our best and employ as many checks as possible.

These include restrictive access to entrants, all participants have to give their name and children cannot enter without the knowledge of an adult. Perhaps the most significant is that I send all the games to be scanned through Professor Ken Reagan's screening program.

Hope you can make Saturday.
Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't sought permission yet but what the hell. I entered. I may need to take a bye. I do object to the games being rated but have made that pretty clear to some members of the CS Management Board.

In between trying to play as many 15 min + 10 second games I can before Saturday I will endeavour to do some research on Professor Regan's methods to better understand how it actually works particularly at the club player level.

I presume I don't need to play a set number of games on lichess to play in the tournament? I tried to play in a tournament on Chess.com tonight for practice for Saturday but it wouldn't let me in unless I played a certain number of games and it wouldn't tell me the number. Most frustrating.

Thanks,

D2
(29-06-2020, 11:53 PM)David Deary Wrote: In between trying to play as many 15 min + 10 second games I can before Saturday I will endeavour to do some research on Professor Regan's methods to better understand how it actually works particularly at the club player level.
You could ask someone who has been using it for the last 8 or 9 years....
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
(29-06-2020, 11:56 PM)Andy Howie Wrote: You could ask someone who has been using it for the last 8 or 9 years....

I'm pretty sure you are on my dissenting email...
Don't forget to ask to join the Scottish Chess Tour team on LiChess, where all factors may be taken into account in deciding to let you in.
(30-06-2020, 10:41 AM)JMcNicoll Wrote: Don't forget to ask to join the Scottish Chess Tour team on LiChess, where all factors may be taken into account in deciding to let you in.

Thanks John, I have submitted a request to join. I'm sure it will be handled with the even handedness we've all come to expect from you over the years. Its Dave that worries me.  Big Grin