Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNCL final round
Photo 
Hi folks, although I am in Prague at the moment, hoping to get my plane ok tomorrow, I have taken the decision to postpone sncl dated 29th March because of the Corona virus. I will confirm this with the venue on Monday. As far as results are concerned I will consult my team once I get home and see how much this virus is going to affect our future plans.
It's a sensible decision Glynis.  Current advice is to try to keep at least a metre away from other people, and with the number of players and the size of the venue that would not be possible.
I agree. It shows leadership to make this decision in advance of further official guidance. 

We experienced in Prague the organisers steadfastly trying to continue the World Seniors events until matters were taken out of their hands by the Czech government. It was cut short after round 7. Personally I think the event should have been terminated after round 5 when Scotland 1 were sharing 2nd place in the Over 50s. Smile ...or postponed in advance when disruption looked highly likely.

No doubt this will require further work by our SNCL organisers to work out what is best. I encourage all to give them time and space to work through what happens next - especially as Glynis hasn't even left the Czech Republic yet!
And stating what should be obvious but ...

When the current crisis is over there will be a lot of demand from cancelled events for hotel space (and community centres, schools, etc) in the weeks and months following the return to 'normality'.  Chess players should not expect an immediate re-arrangement of postponed fixtures as others will be willing to pay more for a venue.  Chess tournaments may be a considerable way down the priority list for those hiring out venues.
I'm glad to say I am safely back at home in very Bonnie Scotland. Had a great time in Prague but the sight of two paramedics in full hazmat suits entering our hotel this morning and leaving with a Russian player was the last straw for me. I hope the person recovers soon and is able to get home quickly.