Poll: Should non-anonymous posters be allowed usernames which are not their full names?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
44.00%
11 44.00%
No
56.00%
14 56.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Username Discussion
...and as I said before, if we have some kind of table for people to look up the real identities of the usernames, then they aren't anonymous anyway; they are just confusing. So in that respect you haven't got the best of either scenario.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Maybe people just like to know who they are talking to Mike? Is it really so hard to believe that people consider it important to know who they are saying things to? I think that's a perfectly reasonable argument, whether you agree with it or not. Big Grin

It's an argument - however, it's a public forum rather than a private message. I'm aware that there will be tens of people who will read what I am writing now, many of whom I will not know. The same goes for anything anyone else writes - anyone who posts seems comfortable with an "anonymous" audience.
I'd also kind of like to hear from anybody else who's opposed to initials, not least to allay my fears that Andrew's created 7 dummy accounts =)
I voted no.
Simply because I like to know who I am talking to. Regardless of whether or not I personally know the poster, should I meet them I have a better understanding of their opinions and ideas. And knowing who they are helps shape any reply.

IMHO one should be confident enough to stand by one's own opinion.
The identity of those with initials has already been revealed so you know who you are talking!

Cany anyone else give a valid reason why initials should not be used, I am still yet to hear one.
Personally, I am in favour of people choosing their own usernames on an internet forum. Why cant we simply update our profile with our actual name but with a unique username for everyone? That way if you wish to know who you are talking too you can simply view their profile.

It would also allow me to use my favourite username "Dearyme" 8)
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
Its not hard to understand and okay I can understand an individual's preference for knowing who they are talking with(but as JR points out initials are normally known) however others have good reasons (e.g. being approached in person to carry on an argument, being googled) for not being easily identified.

Can you explain why an individual's desire to know the name of the poster's should trump others' desire not to be named? I mean not knowing a name has no serious impact on you whereas having your name known could.

Put it another way the person wanting not to be named is not forcing anyone else not to use their names so whey should you require your view to be imposed on them?

The practical implication is that the number of active posters will shrink even further.

BTW I assume that those that need to know names never engage in conversations with strangers they meet? Big Grin
Hugh Brechin Wrote:I'd also kind of like to hear from anybody else who's opposed to initials, not least to allay my fears that Andrew's created 7 dummy accounts =)

Sad I would never do such a thing!
Mike Scott Wrote:BTW I assume that those that need to know names never engage in conversations with strangers they meet? Big Grin

There is a difference between engaging in short conversation with strangers and conversing over a long period of time with people. Name one person you have known for more than six months and have had many conversations with whos name you do not know? Big Grin

Oh wait, you won't know their name... how confusing. I bet none exist though. :U
J*R Wrote:The identity of those with initials has already been revealed so you know who you are talking!

Cany anyone else give a valid reason why initials should not be used, I am still yet to hear one.
One reason could be that if JR insults someone or calls them a liar on this noticeboard (this has happened :\ :\ , not by JR though) and this someone grabs his shot gun and shoots J Robertson or J Rowson then an innocent victim may suffer for someone elses disrespect Big Grin Big Grin .
Another problem in my opinion was that if someone crossed the line of decency admin would refuse to reveal who the scoundrel was which is unfair.