Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Coope
I regret to announce that the Oban player Derek Coope passed away last night.  His death was unexpected.
That's really sad news. Derek was a gentleman.
Derek was playing at the Lothians Allegro on Sunday finishing joint 2nd in the minor and was his usual witty self. Derek was telling me that his daughter was keen for him to give up playing chess but as he was enjoying it and still very competitive, he was going to keep on playing. He had a real fighting spirit which helped him through his illness. I remember having to pull him out of a tournament in the final round and sitting with him while I called an ambulance, he just wanted to play on.

Derek was a real gentleman. He was one of the few players who would come up to the arbiting team at the start of a tournament to say hello and shake our hands and always made sure to thank us at the end regardless of how he did.

I have had many long conversations with Derek over the years at Oban, SNCL and tournaments and I am really going to miss him.

RIP Derek
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
A moment's silence was held in respect for Derek at the 4NCL Congress in Harrogate.

Derek had been due to play in the Major Section (U2000).