Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afternoon Chess
Paisley Chess Club will be opening on Thursday Afternoons between 1.30 and 4.00 during the months of March and April. This is on a trial basis however if it proves popular Thursday afternoon chess may become a permanent feature. Players from other clubs are welcome to come along and try it out. Please note the club will still be open on Monday and Wednesday evenings as usual.
This experiment has proved a moderate success and the popularity of playing in the afternoon is gradually increasing. It seems to suit retired people, freelance workers and those on an evening /night shift. We have therefore decided to make the Thursday afternoon session a permanent feature and will be updating our website shortly.
Just out of personal interest to myself does anyone know the last time a Chess Club opened on an afternoon ? I was reading about the Eldon Cafe in Glasgow on the history page of the CS website, this was a place in Renfield Street where people could play all day. This was back in the thirties but I am sure afternoon chess must have been played more recently than this.