Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IA Ken Stewart
We have just received sad news that IA Ken Stewart, a stalwart of the Chess Scotland Management Committee, collapsed and died while hill walking yesterday.

We will share details of the funeral arrangements when we have them
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
My memories of Ken.

I am really going to miss Ken. Along with Donald and Alex, Ken was a major source of help and inspiration for me when I was a budding arbiter wanting to become an IA. Never quick to judge and always with the right advice when I needed it. When I moved into the organisational side of Chess and became a Director, I felt out of place being the youngest there by some years. Ken was one of the ones who prodded me in the right direction when I was going off path and happyily helped when I needed advice.

AGMs were always fun when Ken was there. Woe betide the person who submitted a motion that was incompetent (I was on the wrong side of this a few times!). Incredibly sharp witted and able to put a point across that was hard to argue against.

I know from speaking to Ken he was looking to stand down in the next couple of years. This would have been his last re-election.

I am both humbled and honored to have both learned from and worked with Ken. He was a Gentleman in all aspects of the word and I will sorely miss him

RIP Ken
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
(18-11-2018, 03:00 PM)Andy Howie Wrote: My memories of Ken.

I am really going to miss Ken.  Along with Donald and Alex, Ken was a major source of help and inspiration for me when I was a budding arbiter wanting to become an IA.  Never quick to judge and always with the right advice when I needed it.  When I moved into the organisational side of Chess and became a Director, I felt out of place being the youngest there by some years.  Ken was one of the ones who prodded me in the right direction when I was going off path and happyily helped when I needed advice.

AGMs were always fun when Ken was there.  Woe betide the person who submitted a motion that was incompetent (I was on the wrong side of this a few times!).  Incredibly sharp witted and able to put a point across that was hard to argue against.

I know from speaking to Ken he was looking to stand down in the next couple of years.  This would have been his last re-election.  

I am both humbled and honored to have both learned from and worked with Ken.  He was a Gentleman in all aspects of the word and I will sorely miss him

RIP Ken

This is really sad news about our dear friend Ken - he seemed fine at the recent Scottish Chess AGM
I first met Ken some 5O years ago in Glasgow and when we were both on the SCA Council in the mid seventies and I was appointed as Secretary in succession to Mike Partis, Ken willingly took over the running of the Richardson Cup and other SCA events which he continued to do for several decades. Ken was also an active Scottish CCA member and player and always had good advice to offer in a kind way. When the SCA Congress was held in St. Andrews he suggested we apply to play round of golf on the Old Course and we were successful in the ballot. Ken was a scratch golfer but I was 18 handicapper but he guided me round with tolerance and helpful advice and I will always remember that great experience.
Ken was of the old school, being dignified, modest, kind and generous gaining the respect of everyone.
He will be sadly missed - thanks Ken for giving me the privilege of beng one of your many friends
A fantastic servant of chess in Scotland.  His contribution to tournament organisation and arbiting in this country was phenomenal.  He became an International Arbiter in 1984 and was Scotland’s only active Principal Arbiter.  He conducted many of the arbiter courses held here.
As Director for Arbiters and Rules all of the Arbiters’ Committee meetings were held at his home.  These meetings always finished with tea and cakes.

The chess community has lost a great worker.
Sad news, I really liked Ken and his quirky but fair put downs. The poly quick play was always busy and attracted some of the top players. I also remember he hosted my Scottish boys play off match with Keith Ruxton at his house, just under 30 years ago. He really did do a lot for the Scottish game.
Sad news indeed. I’m sure lots of us have fond memories of Ken. Here are some of mine...

Although I first met Ken Stewart about 40 years ago it was many, many years later before I learned that Ken’s mum (a Mrs Stewart - duh!) was actually my Primary 1 teacher. So I have learned rather a lot from the Stewart family over the years!
My first memory of being interested in chess was an open day at Coatbridge Library run by Ken Stewart. This must have been around 1981/82 and I can vividly remember Ken showing a group of us a smothered mate chess puzzle and I was very enthusiastic about learning more so Ken gave me details of some local clubs and suggested I went along to one! I can also remember the delight of drawing with Ken when he gave a simultaneous display a few years later at Kirkshaws juniors.

Fast forward a couple of years and Ken played in the LCL team with us at Coatbridge Chess Club when we were promoted to Div.1. and needed a strong player to head three up and coming juniors. We ended up winning Div1 the following year!

Ken - the Arbiter - was omnipresent at congresses and I can remember him trying to explain the intricate details of allegro finish rules to me (West of Scotland Champ) when I was sure I should have been awarded a draw but was disappointed after being awarded the loss. Ken was (of course) correct as I hadn’t been able to show on the board any drawing method as we were just into the ending. Ken was a great source of knowledge for the rules and any wacky permutation of examples that Alex Gillies could dream up!

Ken was present through lots of my Chess memories for the last 40 years - he will be sadly missed.
I too am truly saddened to hear of the of the loss of Ken Stewart.
It is difficult to imagine Chess Scotland without Ken, but sadly we must.
He was always helpful to me in my work for the IBCA. When proposed rule changes affecting
Blind/ Visually impaired players, Ken would send me details and asked me for my thoughts on such matters.
I will forever be grateful for his support.
Chess in Scotland has lost someone truly special
Stephen Hilton
2nd Vice- President
International Braille Chess Association (IBCA)
I really don't know what to say except who's going to keep us all in check now he's gone? It's often said as a cliché  but I sincerely feel there's now a big hole in Scottish Chess and we will struggle even to try and fill it. Perhaps over the next few days i'll think of something. I can only think of Ken's grin when I said something stupid (which was quite often). I know Ken has the respect from everyone in Chess, just look at some of things Ken achieved over the years. There are loads of better qualified people than myself to go on about it.

to say I'm devastated is an understatement.
Funeral arrangements for Ken Stewart: Daldowie Crematorium on Friday 30 November at midday. Then sandwiches etc at Drumpellier Golf Club, where Ken was a member for decades and where he also played bridge.
(22-11-2018, 05:59 PM)Douglas Bryson Wrote: Funeral arrangements for Ken Stewart: Daldowie Crematorium on Friday 30 November at midday. Then sandwiches etc at Drumpellier Golf Club, where Ken was a member for decades and where he also played bridge.

At Bled shortly before round 6. In a word just saddened and shocked by Ken's sad departure. I first got to know him in the late 60s in Glasgow University chess surroundings. He's been such an ever-present for chess in Scotland. Completely selfless, gentle and full of good humour. Sadly missed.