Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIDE Elections
(05-10-2018, 02:00 AM)Andy McCulloch Wrote: Short thinks that Scotland should not exist as a separate nation in FIDE or FIFA, so what is interesting about him being a FIDE vice president?
As a FIDE Vice President what will he be able to do for British chess, never mind Scottish chess?

100% this^ A fantastic chess player but a poor imitation of a human being.

For what it's worth I thought CS voted the right way. AD is backed by the Russian state as was Kirsan. I wonder what Gary Kasparov thinks? I'd be amazed if he would have backed AD.

The only thing that FIDE has done that has benefited me as a chess player in 20 years is the offer of DGT clocks this season. However, I think its DGT we need to thank rather than FIDE.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
As I wrote in my daily report, the choice of candidates was appalling. The CS board had been discussing it on and off via email (at least) for a while prior to Batumi.

At every point Dvorkovich was basically considered a puppet of the Russian state, his inclusion on the pre-sanctions list making him a no-go area. The inducements offered to, and pressure put on what I believe were many federations was not surprising, and did not exclude CS. Nothing I heard from anyone on the board at any point made him a possibility for our vote.

Short was also never a possibility for a number of reasons - not least those mentioned above by Daniel and Andy Mc.

Makro was seen as the best of a bad bunch, although there were only one or two really pushing for him from within CS.

A spoiled paper would have been the best choice (there apparently was one, but perhaps not from CS).

What will the future hold for CS within FIDE? More of the same I'd expect. Sad state of affairs all round. Novichok knights anyone?