Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM| 2018
I have been trying to ascertain when and where this years AGM will take place. There is a distinct paucity of information.
The lead time for submission of motions, nominations for elections is substantial, now pushing the possible date into September and the new playing season.
Last year details of the AGM were published on July 8th, intended date August 19th, but that may have been altered.
I have been unable to find the minutes of last years AGM.
the AGM has been moved to November / December this year Andy as decided by the AGM Quorum last year. It was felt July/August was too soon to hold it
(13-08-2018, 04:14 PM)Ianbrownlee Wrote: the AGM has been moved to November / December this year Andy as decided by the AGM Quorum last year. It was felt July/August was too soon to hold it
Thank you for that information.   
I would have seen that, had the minutes of the 2017 AGM been available on the website.  Sadly the most up to date AGM minutes I can find are those for 2015.
I look forward to reading the minutes, in particular the reasoning behind moving the AGM to Nov/Dec when August has been satisfactory for the previous decade at least.
Hi Andy

The principle reason for moving the AGM was that clubs, leagues etc.. don’t usually meet during the time the agenda, motions etc are published prior to the AGM. It was felt that moving the AGM back might encourage more participation and attendance by these bodies, as well as members, as there would now be an opportunity or member bodies to discuss proposals etc prior to the AGM during the chess season.

if memory serves it was also felt that it was too soon after the end of the financial year for the AGM , but you know what my memory is like, there were most probably other reasons which i cant remember
Just to clarify the AGM issue.

The Constitution (amended August 17 2017) is available on the CS website.  I must put my hand though and admit that I forgot to change the date on the leading Information Page of the website - but I can and will fix that!

A motion was submitted to the 2017 AM (motion 3) and passed.  This was to change the AGM to November and I subsequently updated the Constitution (para 12.1) to reflect this. There was also a change to Constitution Para 6.3 (motion 2) and that update was also implemented in the Constitution change.

These two motions as published were : -

2. Chess Scotland Constitution Paragraph 6.3 In the last line, replace three months with two months (Hamish Glen and Jim Webster)

3. Chess Scotland Constitution Paragraph 12.1 In the last line, replace August with November (Hamish Glen and Jim Webster)

Both motions passed.

The full list of published motions can be found here

https://www.chessscotland.com/wp-content...otions.pdf

- motion 1 failed and motions 2, 3, 4 passed and motions 5 & 6 were passed with minor amendments (the fine details of these amendments escape me at the moment)

I hope this clears this issue for you.

Jim
While I can find the AGM notice for both 2016 and 2017, the last AGM minutes I can find are for 2015, so no the matter is not cleared up.
(14-08-2018, 08:15 AM)Andy McCulloch Wrote: While I can find the AGM notice for both 2016 and 2017, the last AGM minutes I can find are for 2015, so no the matter is not cleared up.

I note in passing Para 14.3.2 of the constitution

"For General Meetings the draft minutes will be published on the Chess Scotland internet site within 4 weeks of the meeting."

Some minutes may be a tad tardy and perhaps a question to the AGM would be in order.
Minutes of the 2016 AGM can be found within the 2017 AGM Notice. All AGM notices should contain the previous years minutes since it is part on the business of the AGM

I'll check up on the 2017 minutes.
(14-08-2018, 11:05 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: Minutes of the 2016 AGM can be found within the 2017 AGM Notice.  All AGM notices should contain the previous years minutes since it is part on the business of the AGM

How's that checking up going on then?
(14-09-2018, 12:58 PM)JMcNicoll Wrote:
(14-08-2018, 11:05 AM)Jim Webster Wrote: Minutes of the 2016 AGM can be found within the 2017 AGM Notice.  All AGM notices should contain the previous years minutes since it is part on the business of the AGM

How's that checking up going on then?

There appears to have been notice of the 2018 AGM on the website since the 22nd of this month.  Still no sign of the 2017 minutes however.