Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOA Congress 25th & 26th Aug 2018
The first Championship Chess Congress of the season is at the Royal Hotel in Bridge of Allan.

Our new 2 day format will see seven different sections offering a choice of classical, rapid and blitz chess.

You can find the entry brochure, entry form and more at our new website 
Our first entry to our revamped Championship section is GM Matthew Turner.

Players who enter by midnight Saturday 4th August will get the chance of winning half price entry to Championship Chess Congresses for a calendar year.
Numbers are coming along nicely with almost 40 entries already and still time to enter in time to participate in our Prize Draw. Players are of course able to enter up to the first morning of competition, but if you are planning in taking part in either of our Championship or Rapidplay sections, the sooner the minimum numbers are met the sooner the sections can be confirmed as going ahead.
Titled players rated 2100 to 2199 are now eligible to play in the Championship and titled players graded 2000 to 2099 now have the chance to gain one of the 2/3 places reserved for players wishing to play up.

Players have until midnight tonight to enter for a chance to win Half Price Entry for a Calendar Year to Championship Chess Congresses!
An excellent total of 56 entrants will be in our Prize Draw, which will take place before the start of play in Round 1.

As has been announced on the Chess Scotland website, there will be a prize presentation to winners in last season's Chessbase.com Grand Prix. This will take place before Round 2.

Our second titled player to enter is FM Philip Giulian, who will be taking part in the Championship. We also have our first Scottish Olympic team entrant, Rosie Giulian will compete in the U2200.
(30-07-2018, 03:38 PM)Gary McPheator Wrote: Numbers are coming along nicely with almost 40 entries already and still time to enter in time to participate in our Prize Draw. Players are of course able to enter up to the first morning of competition, but if you are planning in taking part in either of our Championship or Rapidplay sections, the sooner the minimum numbers are met the sooner the sections can be confirmed as going ahead.

Numbers-wise I expect the Championship will only work if it's open to a wider group of players. As a 2100+, non-titled player, I'd be interested in this event but not if I am stuck in a group where the majority of players are rated a few hundred points below me and if there's no possibility to play some top guys. I expect I may not alone here.

How many entrants does the Championship need before it would be considered full? If the Championship full quota is not reached, does it get topped-up on basis of highest ratings first?

btw - Good to see cash prizes for the top section this year.
(06-08-2018, 12:13 PM)George Neave Wrote:
(30-07-2018, 03:38 PM)Gary McPheator Wrote: Numbers are coming along nicely with almost 40 entries already and still time to enter in time to participate in our Prize Draw. Players are of course able to enter up to the first morning of competition, but if you are planning in taking part in either of our Championship or Rapidplay sections, the sooner the minimum numbers are met the sooner the sections can be confirmed as going ahead.

Numbers-wise I expect the Championship will only work if it's open to a wider group of players. As a 2100+, non-titled player, I'd be interested in this event but not if I am stuck in a group where the majority of players are rated a few hundred points below me and if there's no possibility to play some top guys. I expect I may not alone here.

How many entrants does the Championship need before it would be considered full? If the Championship full quota is not reached, does it get topped-up on basis of highest ratings first?

btw - Good to see cash prizes for the top section this year.
The Championship doesn't have a maximum number George, so the more the merrier. The reason there I have decided to restrict the numbers of 2100 players is because I am trying to attract our top players back to weekend congresses on a regular basis. I hope the restriction will help convince them that the event is strong enough for them to take part in. I am pleased to have already attracted Chess Scotland's highest graded player to the event (this will be the first time a GM has played in one of my events) and I hope that the tournament will also give players a local alternative to travelling abroad for strong FIDE rated competition. 

The event does have 2/3 places reserved for 2100 players like yourself that want to play higher opposition, with the highest graded player wishing to play up gaining a spot and the other places decided by a draw to give all the others a fair chance. If you entered you would currently be the highest graded 2100 player and if you are correct that we may struggle to attract players of your strength, then that only boosts your chance of getting one of the places. And if you were to miss out and don't want to compete in the U2200 you could withdraw from the event. So why not put your name down George, what have you got to lose?
The Championship will now be open to all 2100 rated players and also titled players graded 2000 to 2099, and is only three players shy of the minimum numbers required.

The Rapidplay is also three players short and it would be great, if you are interested and able, for players to enter either section to help us confirm both events as soon as possible.

Numbers in the U1800 are a bit low and it would be a shame if I have to put a minimum number of entrants to this section in future, so again, please put your name down as soon as you can.
The third titled player to enter this year's Championship is CM Andrew Green, and I am pleased to confirm that the top section will definitely take place. The Rapidplay will be confirmed once a couple of more players have entered.
I think the Championship section is a fantastic idea Gary. I've been telling people about it and I hope it is a big success.