Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tournament format? Feedback please.
Hello,

I've had an idea for a new(ish) format for an event. There are currently no plans in place, it's just an idea, but I would appreciate some feedback.

The idea: Age Championship event
Aimed at: both adults and juniors
Format: 2 day weekend congress or 1 day allegro.

What are traditional tournament grading bands could be replaced with age groups. I would be keen to reinstate the junior age championships (or if these are planned, an age based junior tournament). Furthermore I'm keen to pursue a 16 - 30 event as its an age group often overlooked and I feel it should be given some attention, seniors at the top end and a 'middle aged' category for the inbetweeners.

As each section would essentially be 'open' I'd recommend maybe a 1st & 2nd prizein adult events, followed by generous grading prizes for sections (i'm still in the Fair City mentality of the more prizes the better!)

I have a date in mind and a venue too but I haven't had a chance to link these up. I guess it's a novelty event but I think it could be a social, prestige, novelty event.

Thoughts on a postcard please.

Best wishes,
Lynsey
An interesting concept Lynsey. Big Grin
Was something we asked the juniors, would they prefer grading bands or ages. Vast majority preferred grading bands as it meant they had a chance to win as the leaders for each age are quite far ahead of the rest
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Certainly something different from the rest of the season's fare Lynsey. With that in mind, why not offer another novelty to chess in Scotland and make the tournament a two day allegro? You could use the the first day to seperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak in each of the age groups, with the second day splitting into top and bottom sections.
An interesting idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about the over-30s being called middle-aged!