Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some topics of interest from the International Directors report
(16-04-2018, 08:17 AM)amuir Wrote: How did we get such a strong Olympiad team if players are having to pay for their own flights ? Will you be able to get non-playing captains on this basis ?

My educated guess, Andy, is that since representing your country in an Olympiad is the pinnacle of a chess career for many, many players - paying your own flights is worth it.

I have yet to hear from anyone who wants to take on a non-playing captain's role. I am happy to do so (if time and personal finance allow!) but I'll keep looking for others who may be interested, and a discussion with the teams will also take place before any decision is made.

(16-04-2018, 08:45 AM)David Deary Wrote: Andy,

I was being deliberately hyperbolic.
I thought as CS's journalist you would have appreciated my sensationalism?   Wink
My excuse is it was way past my bedtime David Wink
(13-04-2018, 04:36 PM)George Neave Wrote: No International Budget
I understand the organisation is strapped for cash but I would have thought entry fees for events such as Olympiad of European Championships ought to be close to top of the list of funding priorities. I wonder what is coming ahead of these? I'd appreciate if someone in the know could clarify here or point me towards where this information is shared with the general membership. I am sure this will be of interest to all paid up members like myself.

2017 Chess Scotland accounts show net assets of £6k after a deficit (loss) in the year of £11k.  Action had to be taken before it ran out of cash.

£13.6k deficit from international tournaments in 2017 when including FIDE fees - no split by tournament or age category available.

Self funding announced way back last summer, since membership fees barely cover core costs.

Glorney leading this approach by announcing fundraising appeal by Craig Pritchett and pro bono training support.  Good to see fully funded options are out there for other tournaments so no need to call on Chess Scotland funds.

My local rugby team uses sponsorship of and fundraising from each youth team for their annual, individual tour trips.

If Chess Scotland were a registered charity they could perhaps access more grants and claim gift aid on donations - £28k of donations over the past 6 years  would have got back up to £7k in tax.

Best practice to have cash reserves for contingency purposes.
John Watkins
Hi John

glad to see that you (as always) has a grasp of the current situation. There is a lot of hard work going on at the moment regarding the Glorney and other events and I am not going to shoot from the hip on a public forum. the management committee are a duly elected group of volunteers with Chess Scotland's best interests at heart. Reliable announcements will be made as and when possible.
I have made a donation.
This is on top of my usual donation of grading points to the Scottish junior squad  Smile
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
(16-04-2018, 08:16 PM)Alan Jelfs Wrote: I have made a donation.
This is on top of my usual donation of grading points to the Scottish junior squad  Smile

how about donating some of your grading points to me
(16-04-2018, 04:52 PM)John Watkins Wrote:
(13-04-2018, 04:36 PM)George Neave Wrote: No International Budget
I understand the organisation is strapped for cash but I would have thought entry fees for events such as Olympiad of European Championships ought to be close to top of the list of funding priorities. I wonder what is coming ahead of these? I'd appreciate if someone in the know could clarify here or point me towards where this information is shared with the general membership. I am sure this will be of interest to all paid up members like myself.

2017 Chess Scotland accounts show net assets of £6k after a deficit (loss) in the year of £11k.  Action had to be taken before it ran out of cash.

£13.6k deficit from international tournaments in 2017 when including FIDE fees - no split by tournament or age category available.

Self funding announced way back last summer, since membership fees barely cover core costs.

Glorney leading this approach by announcing fundraising appeal by Craig Pritchett and pro bono training support.  Good to see fully funded options are out there for other tournaments so no need to call on Chess Scotland funds.

My local rugby team uses sponsorship of and fundraising from each youth team for their annual, individual tour trips.

If Chess Scotland were a registered charity they could perhaps access more grants and claim gift aid on donations - £28k of donations over the past 6 years  would have got back up to £7k in tax.

Best practice to have cash reserves for contingency purposes.

That was very helpful John. Glad to see someone is paying attention!
isn't one of the issues with CS becoming a charity that it would be hard to justify offering "conditions" to titled players at the Scottish Championship as a "charitable" aim?
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine
(17-04-2018, 10:27 PM)Alan Jelfs Wrote: isn't one of the issues with CS becoming a charity that it would be hard to justify offering "conditions" to titled players at the Scottish Championship as a "charitable" aim?

If the “conditions” are linked to delivering or enhancing a charitable purpose, then no.
John Watkins