Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some topics of interest from the International Directors report
The adult game gets attention by spending CS money on sending teams to Georgia.
(15-04-2018, 12:03 PM)amuir Wrote: The adult game gets attention by spending CS money on sending teams to Georgia.

Unless I am missing something then George's whole point in starting this thread is that CS is not spending money on sending teams to Georgia?
Apologies for not spotting this thread earlier. Perhaps there is a way to 'tag' someone when you need or would like a response from them? Sending PM's/emails/etc is incredibly time-consuming

As International Director I would obviously like to have some funding available, for 'seniors' and 'adult' events, but I understand the financial situation we are in and support the approach CS are taking, with only a little to add to what Jim Webster posted above in reply to George Neave.

The big events such as Euro teams, Olympiad, Euro and World senior teams and individuals, Euro Individual open and women are all expensive affairs (the Olympiad actually the least expensive as accommodation is provided for free) and even being on a relatively healthy financial footing, CS would be unlikely to make a huge dent in the costs to Scotland representatives.

The players and prospective players have all been made aware of the situation. I've also spoken to Jim Webster, David Congalton and Andy Howie among others about funding for adult international events should the situation change and we are all of the same opinion - if or when there is money available, CS will help out to the best of its ability.

In the meantime, grants from the ECU and FIDE have been and are being sought, the possibility of 'fundraising events' (such as simultaneous exhibitions/seminars for example) are being considered, and all other possible sources or ideas will be looked into.

Any questions please feel free to ask

Andy Burnett

(CS International Director)
(15-04-2018, 09:48 PM)andybburnett Wrote: Apologies for not spotting this thread earlier. Perhaps there is a way to 'tag' someone when you need or would like a response from them? Sending PM's/emails/etc is incredibly time-consuming

As International Director I would obviously like to have some funding available, for 'seniors' and 'adult' events, but I understand the financial situation we are in and support the approach CS are taking, with only a little to add to what Jim Webster posted above in reply to George Neave.

The big events such as Euro teams, Olympiad, Euro and World senior teams and individuals, Euro Individual open and women are all expensive affairs (the Olympiad actually the least expensive as  accommodation is provided for free) and even being on a relatively healthy financial footing, CS would be unlikely to make a huge dent in the costs to Scotland representatives.

The players and prospective players have all been made aware of the situation. I've also spoken to Jim Webster, David Congalton and Andy Howie among others about funding for adult international events should the situation change and we are all of the same opinion - if or when there is money available, CS will help out to the best of its ability.

In the meantime, grants from the ECU and FIDE have been and are being sought, the possibility of 'fundraising events' (such as simultaneous exhibitions/seminars for example) are being considered, and all other possible sources or ideas will be looked into.

Andy Burnett

Andy - For my clarity - is CS putting any funds towards the Olympiad? If not, I wonder what is taking priority over this. As I said in my initial post, I understand funds are scarce but would nevertheless like to understand what is given priority over this.
(15-04-2018, 10:24 PM)George Neave Wrote: Andy - For my clarity - is CS putting any funds towards the Olympiad? If not, I wonder what is taking priority over this. As I said in my initial post, I understand funds are scarce but would nevertheless like to understand what is given priority over this.

George it's funny how people see things differently. I would prefer there are at least 20 items (with a much wider impact) I would give priority over funding the Olympiad team. It's the harsh reality of the current finances.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
(15-04-2018, 10:24 PM)George Neave Wrote:
(15-04-2018, 09:48 PM)andybburnett Wrote: Apologies for not spotting this thread earlier. Perhaps there is a way to 'tag' someone when you need or would like a response from them? Sending PM's/emails/etc is incredibly time-consuming

The big events such as Euro teams, Olympiad, Euro and World senior teams and individuals, Euro Individual open and women are all expensive affairs (the Olympiad actually the least expensive as  accommodation is provided for free) and even being on a relatively healthy financial footing, CS would be unlikely to make a huge dent in the costs to Scotland representatives.

Andy Burnett

Andy - For my clarity - is CS putting any funds towards the Olympiad? If not, I wonder what is taking priority over this. As I said in my initial post, I understand funds are scarce but would nevertheless like to understand what is given priority over this.

Hi George, There is no CS funding available for any adult (including senior) international team or individual events at this time, including this year's Olympiad.

Someone else will have to answer whether there are funds being spent elsewhere or not or where and how (I was unable to attend the most recent management board meeting, for example, so don't know if anything was discussed on this topic, and I wouldn't be the person to make a statement on such things anyway).

Despite adult international chess being my remit, and personal interest in many ways, I can't disagree with David Deary's recent post - although the number he offers may be (very) arguable.

If and when funds are available, I'll do my best to ensure that International chess gets its share, as I agree that juniors have to have something to look up to/look forward to (Murad and Clement in the Olympiad Open team, Ali and Monica in the Women's team (AGAIN!) shows what's possible).

It's not only international teams/individuals/successes which are important, of course, (league chess/congress chess/SNCL/CS competitions/etc. are all very important) but obviously this has to be a part of a full and healthy chess community in Scotland.

Hope this helps to make things  a bit clearer,

Andy B.
How did we get such a strong Olympiad team if players are having to pay for their own flights ? Will you be able to get non-playing captains on this basis ?
Juniors (parents) always pay their own flights to overseas international events so they are used to it. Heads of delegation (team captain) at junior events in the past also have been known to pay their own flights.
Andy,

I was being deliberately hyperbolic.
I thought as CS's journalist you would have appreciated my sensationalism?   Wink
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
(15-04-2018, 10:45 PM)David Deary Wrote:
(15-04-2018, 10:24 PM)George Neave Wrote: Andy - For my clarity - is CS putting any funds towards the Olympiad? If not, I wonder what is taking priority over this. As I said in my initial post, I understand funds are scarce but would nevertheless like to understand what is given priority over this.

George it's funny how people see things differently. I would prefer there are at least 20 items (with a much wider impact) I would give priority over funding the Olympiad team. It's the harsh reality of the current finances.

To be clear, my question above offers no personal opinion on what I think the priorities should be. You appear to have read into my question that I think Olympiad funding ought to be a top priority. If you re-read carefully you will see that I did not say that.

What I am interested to know is what are the priorities. Perhaps funding decisions are only made on an ad hoc basis and so there is not prioritisation framework that can be tied back to strategy? Perhaps this is because the funding is so scarce that the question is meaningless although I did pick up an earlier comment about building-up a cash reserve which suggests there is some strategy going on that says building a funding reserves is more important than paying flights for players to attend internationals. Why do we need a cash reserve I wonder? Some clarifications would be nice!