Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kircaldy Chess Congress
Thumbs Up 
Gary McPheator is pleased to announce that our inaugural Kirkcaldy Chess Congress will be taking place at the Dean Park Hotel from 22nd to 24th of September.

The congress will be a part of a series of events held in Kirkcaldy, Renfrew, Stirling and Largs with U2000 (FIDE rated), U1700 and U1400 sections as well as introducing our new Masters event and Masters Grand Prix.

Players entering by Friday 8th September will be entered into a draw to win free entry to the congress with the winner being announced at Kirkcaldy and we also have accommodation on offer, so enter quickly to make sure you don’t miss out!

Entry form should be attached.

Attached Files
.pdf   Kirkcaldy Entry Form.pdf (Size: 726.93 KB / Downloads: 903)
I have a question about the prizes. On the entry form (page 2) I see the non-restricted section (i.e. Masters) is a qualifier for an event to be held in Largs next year. I also see the prizes for this event next year. Then on page 3  the entry form goes on to detail prizes in Kirkcaldy for the "grade restricted events". What I do not see anywhere is detail of prizes for the non-grade restricted (i.e. Masters) event in Kirkcaldy. Is this is an error on the form? Can someone please clarify. Thanks
(25-08-2017, 04:00 PM)George Neave Wrote: I have a question about the prizes. On the entry form (page 2) I see the non-restricted section (i.e. Masters) is a qualifier for an event to be held in Largs next year. I also see the prizes for this event next year. Then on page 3  the entry form goes on to detail prizes in Kirkcaldy for the "grade restricted events". What I do not see anywhere is detail of prizes for the non-grade restricted (i.e. Masters) event in Kirkcaldy. Is this is an error on the form? Can someone please clarify. Thanks

From Gary McPheator

Sorry for the late reply George, I can't post on the notice board at the moment as I am temporarily not a CS member and I don't have guest status to post. I will outline the concept behind the Masters when I can post again shortly, but to answer your specific point there is no cash prizes for the Masters Qualifyer at Kirkcaldy, only places at the Masters at Largs are on offer for those who finish in the top third of the section. These places are of course do not incur any other entry fee, so players who qualify will be getting 10 games for their money, as well as a chance to win bigger cash prizes at Largs.
If anyone wants additional information with regards the Kirkcaldy Congress in the next few days while I am still unable to post, please email me and I can stop hassling John to post on my behalf.

With regards,
Gary
(27-08-2017, 10:38 AM)JMcNicoll Wrote:
(25-08-2017, 04:00 PM)George Neave Wrote: I have a question about the prizes. On the entry form (page 2) I see the non-restricted section (i.e. Masters) is a qualifier for an event to be held in Largs next year. I also see the prizes for this event next year. Then on page 3  the entry form goes on to detail prizes in Kirkcaldy for the "grade restricted events". What I do not see anywhere is detail of prizes for the non-grade restricted (i.e. Masters) event in Kirkcaldy. Is this is an error on the form? Can someone please clarify. Thanks

From Gary McPheator

Sorry for the late reply George, I can't post on the notice board at the moment as I am temporarily not a CS member and I don't have guest status to post. I will outline the concept behind the Masters when I can post again shortly, but to answer your specific point there is no cash prizes for the Masters Qualifyer at Kirkcaldy, only places at the Masters at Largs are on offer for those who finish in the top third of the section. These places are of course do not incur any other entry fee, so players who qualify will be getting 10 games for their money, as well as a chance to win bigger cash prizes at Largs.
If anyone wants additional information with regards the Kirkcaldy Congress in the next few days while I am still unable to post, please email me and I can stop hassling John to post on my behalf.

With regards,
Gary

Wow. No prizes for winning the open but prizes for winning the grade restricted sections. That is one of the craziest and worst ideas I have ever heard. I wonder just how many 2000+ players will be rushing to Kirkcaldy for this one! Not me, that's for sure. Personally I was in process of entering when I noticed something was not right. Kirkcaldy is commutable from Edinburgh. Largs is not. So making a trip to Largs for possible prizes simply doesn't cut it. Personally I will NEVER play an event that offers no prize in the open while offering prizes in the lower, grade restricted sections. I suspect I am not alone on that front! Come on guys, you got to offer parity prizes at the very least to the top section if you want folks to play, otherwise why bother?
(27-08-2017, 05:50 PM)George Neave Wrote:
(27-08-2017, 10:38 AM)JMcNicoll Wrote:

From Gary McPheator

With regards,
Gary

Wow. No prizes for winning the open but prizes for winning the grade restricted sections. That is one of the craziest and worst ideas I have ever heard. I wonder just how many 2000+ players will be rushing to Kirkcaldy for this one! Not me, that's for sure. Personally I was in process of entering when I noticed something was not right. Kirkcaldy is commutable from Edinburgh. Largs is not. So making a trip to Largs for possible prizes simply doesn't cut it. Personally I will NEVER play an event that offers no prize in the open while offering prizes in the lower, grade restricted sections. I suspect I am not alone on that front! Come on guys, you got to offer parity prizes at the very least to the top section if you want folks to play, otherwise why bother?

From Gary McPheator

You might find the idea crazy George, but poker events have been running similar qualifiers for years, so feel free to write to them and tell them the error of their ways.

If you find the prospect of going to the lovely coastal town of Largs for a weekend's chess, playing against the best players from the Kirkcaldy, Renfrew and Stirling congresses and competing for the largest weekend congress prizes in Scotland not to your liking then don't enter
Two things:

1) Voting for non members no longer being able to post is paying off dividends now with Gary unable to post. This is an unexpected bonus!  Big Grin

2) Gary is always pushing the boundaries and trying new formats which I think is to be encouraged. However, I'm with George - I think the format will discourage those over 2000 from entering. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

As an aside, as an ayrshireman there is nothing wrong with Largs Mr Neave! Its a lovely place and I would encourage you to visit.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
(28-08-2017, 05:33 PM)David Deary Wrote: Two things:

1) Voting for non members no longer being able to post is paying off dividends now with Gary unable to post. This is an unexpected bonus!  Big Grin

2) Gary is always pushing the boundaries and trying new formats which I think is to be encouraged. However, I'm with George - I think the format will discourage those over 2000 from entering. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

As an aside, as an ayrshireman there is nothing wrong with Largs Mr Neave! Its a lovely place and I would encourage you to visit.

To be clear, I have nothing against Ayrshire, I know it's a lovely place  Cool

I just genuinely think this format will not work. It's just not practical for me to know if I would be able to play another event months ahead on Largs. Also it would require 2 nights of hotels in order to compete as well as a Friday afternoon off work. I would not rule out playing in Ayrshire in future but it requires considerably more planning on my side than it does to jump in the car over to Kirkcaldy.

Since George Pyrich moved to Spain, I have missed the annual Glenrothes Congress. This new event has the potential to fill that gap. The venue looks good and I am sure a lot of effort will have gone in to organising it. So its just a shame that it is setup in a way that will discourage 2000+ players from taking part.  I am pretty sure there are quite a few like me who like a weekend of chess when it's not too far away and there is at least some prospect of winning something.  Free entry in another event months later that I may not be able to play in is not really a prize for me. So it means if I was playing really, all I am doing is subsidising prizes for the grade restricted sections that I cannot play in myself.  Why would I do that? I suspect I am note alone here but maybe I am wrong - we will see. It would be helpful if a few others could comment, though.
Gary is to be commended for trying new formats but I have to agree with previous posters and say that I can't see this being a success. Poker qualifiers are basically online for a small fee with a huge pot of dosh for the winner of the final, say £2 to enter the qualifier, first prize in the final £20k plus other substantial prizes. Your outlay is zero apart from your small qualifier entry fee and your return is ten thousand times your stake.
In the qualifiers to the Largs final, your costs are £45/47 plus travel/accommodation costs. If you make the final at Largs you will also have travel/accommodation costs. If you win the only prize in the final you may make an overall profit.

The part that baffles me in the entry form is this...

"THEY WILL BE JOINED BY QUALIFIERS FROM THE AYRSHIRE MASTERS AND PLAYERS WHO BUY IN TO COMPETE FOR THE FOLLOWING PRIZES AT LARGS."

Buy in being another poker term, does this mean that folks can simply pay £45/£47 to enter Largs and shoot for the whole pot?
I really like the idea of a Masters final event that could bring together a really strong field, however will the final of it be FIDE rated? Also I notice the entry list for this Masters qualifier isn't published online with the other sections, is there a reason for this?
I must say Gary, although I enjoyed both of my outings in Largs in tournaments which you organised, I was baffled by the Kirkcaldy prize structure of £250 first prizes for each graded section going all the way down to <1400, yet no cash prizes for the top section.

Regardless of that, I'd be interested in finding out a bit more about the Largs event. Is it likely to be at the same venue, and do you have any prospective dates in mind?