Poll: Do you think posters should be identifiable by their username?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Username - Discussion
Thanks for the response, and it would be good to have a sensible discussion.

Firstly, see those new smileys that people seem very happy with? Is there one that expresses a combination of shock, horror, bemusement, quizzicality and a touch (not too much) of amusement??

Hugh Brechin Wrote:that's before you get into whether anyone would believe 'Alistair Campbell'.

Because now would be a good time to use one....

Hugh Brechin Wrote:I will say this - having this poll on a new noticeboard where the presumption is that everyone registers under their own name seems likely to lead to a fairly significant sampling bias.

Hugh, Brechin makes a good point. There is also the question of bias in the question asked. The question as posed only queries one aspect of the username debate, namely identifiability. Posters who use initials are easily identifiable. Posters who used puns on their names were also identifiable. Others who used slightly more obscure names could be sussed out with a little effort. It cannot be clear from the results of this poll which, if any, subset of such posters would be permitted by those who are voting "yes".

As stated in my other post, there is also the dimension of whether the "forename surname" convention should be relaxed, and if so, to what extent. The moderators appear to have conceded that the naming convention is not, as previously asserted, purely to do with a technical requirement to map names. One may conclude that the convention is there for other reasons, possibly aesthetic.

Not all of society conforms to the "forename surname" model so I don't think we should enforce this here.

Similarly, I see no harm in allowing lower cases, spaces (or not) or underscores. But then I am in favour of allowing pretty much anything.

Finally (for now, possibly), I can imagine circumstances where people are either reluctant to stick their head above the parapet and make their first post, or otherwise feel unable to post under an identifiable (whatever that may be) username. Anonymity may allow such people to post and hence broaden the appeal of this forum.
Personally I have no issue using my name and am happy to stand by what I have posted; though having had someone come out to me at a congress to rather aggressively object to some point or other I had made I do appreciate that some people may not want to risk that sort of incident.

I would also think it is quite possible that CS officials may wish to comment in an unofficial capacity or that players might wish to comment on the selection process without running the risk of being picked on by officials they are critical of. In both cases there is a good arguement for anon. posting.

I certainly miss the amusing posting of the likes of currey green pig (?).
Why is there not "I do not care" on this poll?
I do not like the way that Various people including myself were FORCED to use full names whilst AWIC JR and Various others were not. Whatever is decided should be uniform and that will be and end to it.If people decide not to post as a result then they are being petty. However if people refuse to post as a result of this unfair situation then I agree. Although they would do better by fighting for fairness for all.
When a result has been agreed we will definitely be applying the rule to everyone, not just select individuals George, and if the agreement is that you can make your username anything you want; then you can feel free to change yours. In the meantime I don't think it would be wise for me to do anything else. So far the poll seems to be suggesting that people tend to agree with me, whether it be biased or not.

Addressing one of the points above; I intentionally left the options quite open, because I think as long as someone can be identified by their username then the username has achieved it's purpose. I'm not so bothered about format of the username, as the pnums seem to be a better solution anyway.
Orange curry hamster, Mike. Later Green Vegan Rhino. He was fun.
George Thomson Wrote:Why is there not "I do not care" on this poll?
I do not like the way that Various people including myself were FORCED to use full names whilst AWIC JR and Various others were not. Whatever is decided should be uniform and that will be and end to it.If people decide not to post as a result then they are being petty. However if people refuse to post as a result of this unfair situation then I agree. Although they would do better by fighting for fairness for all.

I agree the rules should be the same for everyone! Who forced you to change your username? I was never asked to change mine on the old board.

The point is that as long as admins know the real identity then initials should be allowed, no-one is really anonymous. I'm sure everbody knew who those with initials were anyway, not hard to work out.
My understanding was that we needed first, last to try and align with the grading database so we could have a single login for the site and webpage.

The usage of real names was decided on 3 or 4 AGM's ago. We have allowed Initials since
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I can understand if it was necessary for logins, however a much better solution is to use PNUM's as I am sure I read somewhere earlier. On most forums the username that you register with is not always the same as the displayed username when you post a message.

If I change my name by law to JR can I keep my username as it is? ;P
Andy Howie Wrote:My understanding was that we needed first, last to try and align with the grading database so we could have a single login for the site and webpage.

No longer true, there is now a custom field for PNUM upon registration. It seems far more sensible.

Those who don't have a PNUM :\ - on the grading user database everyone has an ID, as I realised that not everyone has a PNUM or an email. I can work something out in a similar way, as PHPBB will have userID for everyone too - so it shouldn't be too difficult. =|
Sorry Andy, I think I just screwed up your post! Sad