Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Chess to my sons primary school...
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to convince my son's head teacher about the benefits of a primary school chess club. However before approaching her I would like to know if there are funding programs available in Scotland similar to the work CSC do in England and Wales in the case she tries to palm me due to costs. I have gathered a few things compiled by Mr McFarlane with regards to chess in schools. However I believe funding may pose the biggest problem whilst trying to convince her of the benefits.

Any helpful information about this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Joe.
The Glasgow Schools Chess league received a grant from Glasgow City Council and I believe that there may some left which may be available for buying some boards and sets.

You will need to approach Christine MacGregor for it. I will PM her email address to you.

I'm sure Peter and Anne Woods at Chess Suppliers will give you a great deal on the boards and sets. =)
Derek Howie Wrote:The Glasgow Schools Chess league received a grant from Glasgow City Council and I believe that there may some left which may be available for buying some boards and sets.

You will need to approach Christine MacGregor for it. I will PM her email address to you.

I'm sure Peter and Anne Woods at Chess Suppliers will give you a great deal on the boards and sets. =)

Excellent. Thanks again Derek.
Chess Suppliers have package deals. You can get 6 sets and boards for £60 in total: Chess Suppliers Package Deals

Assuming you plan to give your time for free and they will use the school premises, I can't really see any other overheads. If £60 is the only set-up costs, then it's a small price to pay for something as valuable as Chess in a school. Big Grin
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Chess Suppliers have package deals. You can get 6 sets and boards for £60 in total: Chess Suppliers Package Deals

Assuming you plan to give your time for free and they will use the school premises, I can't really see any other overheads. If £60 is the only set-up costs, then it's a small price to pay for something as valuable as Chess in a school. Big Grin

Thanks Andrew. I will contact Chess suppliers. My services will be offered for free, before I do so though maybe you could help me with contacts details to register as a coach/chaperon. Is it Mr Mannion Snr?
Quote:Applications for Coach and Chaperon Registration

Anyone wishing to apply for registration as a chess coach or chaperon should Email Steve Mannion Snr with full contact details. He or the assistant signatory, Dick Heathwood, will arrange for you to complete the relevant forms and give you details of the documentary evidence that you must produce. The assistant signatory is authorised both by CS and by CRBS to act on behalf of Steve Mannion (Snr). Throughout the enhanced disclosure process, all applications will be dealt with in strict confidence and to the highest standards of professionalism and integrity.

Chess Scotland also operates a service to build confidence that legal obligations are being met at local clubs and congresses. The service is mainly addressing situations where clubs and congresses are specifically aimed at the participation of juniors but may be considered relevant in other cases, e.g. where a local club for adults operates a junior training programme or a congress is running a junior event. The detailed operation of the service is explained in the page Club Coaches

Full details of the various policy documents which have been registered with the relevant authority, CRBS, together with the explanation of the underlying thinking are published on the CS website; Policy Documents.

Steve Mannion Snr: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mannionsd@btinternet.com">mannionsd@btinternet.com</a><!-- e -->