Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Watson
I am sorry to tell you of  the death of one of our Glasgow Polytechnic members, James Watson. James joined us six years ago on a return to chess and was an enthusiastic member of the club, taking part in the club championship, team matches and outside congresses. He assisted with the running of the club and served a spell on council. During the past season he successfully captained the team in the second division of the Glasgow League until becoming ill towards the end of the season.
Funeral arrangements are not yet known but will be posted on the Polytechnic website  http://glasgowpolychess.weebly.com/
Very sad news...
I played Jim at Livingston last year, a marathon 100+ moves game, and was very active on chess.com where he was known as "gorbals1".
We remained in contact afterwards, a thoroughly nice chap
Very sorry to hear this. Jim was a true friend to Lanark Chess Club and especially the Lanark Open. He will be sorely missed. I was looking forward to seeing him at the last Poly allegro but had to miss it. Jim was always good with the banter and usually one of the first ones to arrive yo help out.  Please let me know of the funeral arrangements. Jim always represented the best in Chess
The funeral is at Lambhill Crematorium at 1.45 on Tuesday 16th May
Hi all,

Very sad news. Does anyone have a decent quality photo of James which I might add to his obituary in the next issue of Scottish Chess magazine?