Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teachers call for chess as a mindsport
An article buried in a newspaper I read has the Association of Teachers and Lecturers annual conference calling for chess to be classed as a mindsport and schools given funding to teach it.

It goes on to say that the game is "cheap and easy" and urge the government to create a fund for the promotion of such mindsports.

Don't know about the easy bit but certainly cheap.
I would be interested to read that, do you know which paper?

ah found it now - https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/educ...ind-sport/
It was in the National on the day it was posted. Page 17 at the bottom and I really do cover all it said.
That would be nice - the research has been positive for decades though. I've previously tried writing to education minister(s), but I guess it gets lost in the noise. Perhaps one of those online petitions people use could be an idea - if you get enough signatures then it gets debated in the house. etc...don't know...always seems tricky getting to a level of meaningful momentum.
(22-04-2017, 10:13 AM)PeterReidSmith Wrote: That would be nice - the research has been positive for decades though. I've previously  tried writing to education minister(s), but I guess it gets lost in the noise. Perhaps one of those online petitions people use could be an idea - if you get enough signatures then it gets debated in the house. etc...don't know...always seems tricky getting to a level of meaningful momentum.

That is actually not a bad idea.  If we can get 100,000 people to agree with it in the UK, they are forced to debate it!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"