Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson & Spens
Alan Tate Wrote:We want team lists in advance. There, no need to trawl through the forum.

Good Alan, now stick it in an email to Jim!

Ask Adam to support you, I'll stick my name on it too if you copy me in. The main reason I haven't made a submission myself is that I don't know if or when I'll play the Richardson again, so it seems like you and Adam should push for this change, with the backing of others!

Andy Burnett
andyburnett Wrote:
Alan Tate Wrote:We want team lists in advance. There, no need to trawl through the forum.

Good Alan, now stick it in an email to Jim!

Ask Adam to support you, I'll stick my name on it too if you copy me in. The main reason I haven't made a submission myself is that I don't know if or when I'll play the Richardson again, so it seems like you and Adam should push for this change, with the backing of others!

Andy Burnett

I support Alan Tate.

I have also submitted proposals for what it's worth.
Just to add if anyone would like to see my submitted proposals, please DM me, or get in touch on FB and I will pass them on.
On March 27th I emailed the following to our president. It has been acknowledged:

Quote:I have just 1 suggestion which I think has been stated by a number of strong players on the CS bulletin board.

Basically, chess has changed over the past 20 years. The advent of online databases and analysis engines means that, whether we like it or not, opponent preparation has become a far more significant factor in the game especially at higher levels. If we accept that, then the current system does not make for an even playing field. At present larger clubs who have more options for team line up at their disposal are harder for prepare for. It means if you play for such a club then you will often be able to prepare for one or maybe two likely opponents while players at smaller clubs have a far greater challenge because the number of possible opponents is greater.

My proposal to remove this disparity is for team line ups to be published 24 hours before a match. Various methods are possible, e.g. captains exchange team sheets via email or post on noticeboard or in a Facebook group etc. The method is not important. I also do not care personally about board orders, others can offer views on that but for me the only thing that really matters is that both teams have a small period of time before the match where both sides have the same amount of information available about their opponents.

What about late call offs? It's a default. I doubt there are many call offs at 24 hours notice. Or, if captains agree, then fine to swap on that board but no other changes.

As you know, Alan Tate, Adam Bremner, Steve Mannion and Andy Burnett have all raised this same point, I add my name to this list and propose the above as a straight forward solution.
Hi Guys
can the current holders of the richardson, spens, campbell rosebowl and Nancy Elder contact directly about returning the trophies in time for finals day?
I would like to thank everyone who helped me out this year, which ran relativiely smoothly with one or two glitches. I woukl like to mention thanks to Jim Webster for getting an alternative venue when the grangemouth venue fell through at late notice ( Combined with a desire to avoid congresses this is the reason why the final was on Easter Saturday. ) I have had a lot of positive feedback regarding the venue this and I'm sure the Home director will try to retain the venue for next year ( if he or she chooeses)

Andy Howie also helped out in the day but particular thanks must go to Alistair Maxwell who ran the tournament final with his usual high standards.

The club captains and secretaries managed to fill out the player registration forms without too many errors ( you  know who you are) and we allowed a bit of leeway this way

Ken Stewart as always helped to finalise the change in rules with input from myself and Douglas Bryson

As always I wouldnt have been able to process the administration without Douglas, who processed the FIDE registrations, grading results and more importantly kept me on the straight and narrow when it was required.

Finally thanks to the directors of Chess Scotland who as a team made this event yet another successful year
I hear there is a proposal from Giffnock to make major changes to the Glasgow League rules for next year too e.g. remove both boards and players to make an elite division of oldies. What with proposed changes to Team Lightning by speeding up by 20%, making SNCL different time control and forcing a 10am start with impossible train times, admin hassle in Richardson and extra prep required at family time it looks like all change , and that ignores our new website design where 200 years of history and pictures of our handsome GMs are removed. This is progress ? Looks like I will have to attend many AGMs to protest.
God Aften

(10-05-2017, 08:25 AM)amuir Wrote: I hear there is a proposal from Giffnock to make major changes to the Glasgow League rules for next year too e.g. remove both boards and players to make an elite division of oldies.

Not heard about that one, I am guessing reducing board size from 8 to 6?  Might be declining numbers causing that

What with proposed changes to Team Lightning by speeding up by 20%,

5 mins each for game, suggestion was 3+2 so for a 60 move game that is em 5 minutes.  So if it is 20% faster, does that mean the game ends after 30 moves regardless of the position?

making SNCL different time control and forcing a 10am start with impossible train times,

We had to, to comply with FIDE regs.  Change next season is to make it less frantic as 40 moves in 90 is a tad fast.

admin hassle in Richardson and extra prep required at family time it looks like all change ,

Well this is what was asked for...

and that ignores our new website design where 200 years of history and pictures of our handsome GMs are removed.

Scottish Chess Association was founded in 1884 not 1817.  I don't think we had websites back then.  

This is progress ? Looks like I will have to attend many AGMs to protest.

Well CS one is in August, SNCL is March 2018...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
I was going to leave it but I can't. Andy, you are complaining about the SNCL rules changes, but you were literally in the room during the SNCL AGM in March, but you chose to sit at the other end of the room with your team for the lightning and ignore everything going on rather than listen and debate anything. I was there, I saw it and found it hillarious. You have zero grounds to complain on that one.
Andy/Adam
Reducing GL from 8 to 6 is thin edge of wedge and bad news, slow death. Don't like
Team Lightning - average length of game about 30 moves so 3 + 2 = 4 mins = 20% off 5 mins, too fast, Don't like
Richardson/SNCL rule changes : Agreed democratically so accept, don't like.
Website not aesthetically pleasing, don't like, plan to propose at AGM to revert to old one.