Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richardson & Spens
its OK George I just felt an explanation was required to your post. I'm sure everyone realises everybody is human
Ian

I would like confirmation of the following points

1) Next Round of the Richardson is to be played by Sunday 19th March 2017. That weekend we have the Irvine congress. If one team insists on playing that weekend and the other says No, what happens? The team saying they must play, may make the excuse that they can't raise a team (even if they can) in order to weaken the other team who may want to play at Irvine. I can't work out why a clash like this is in the calendar.
2) I agree with Alan Tate. To have a serious Fide Rated event, you should know at least one hour before the game starts so you can prepare. The recent Cathcart - Hamilton match favoured Hamilton as Cathcart did not know which players they may play, whereas I managed to prepare for Alan Grant on board 2, with the right colour! Alan Grant was disadvantaged as he knew that I would have something ready, or instead as he did, play something that is not his regular, meaning he was on the back foot before he started.
From Alan Tate posting it sounds like he encountered the same problem.
3) Should increments be introduced to avoid Roddy McKay losing on time in the quick play finish(his opponent had 7 seconds). Roddy had Queen vs Queen + Pawn

Please get back to me ASAP
The point about published teams lists in advance has been made over and over. There was even a poll where it won support. Organisers seems happy to talk about it but do nothing. As Alan and Adam and Steve all say, it is wrong and should be changed.
George, et al

The forum is not really the place to try canvassing opinion and changing rules. We can't control who votes, and in many cases non-members of Chess Scotland can vote on these forum polls - this clouds this issue a bit since only Chess Scotland members can vote on rules and motions.

What I would suggest is that you formulate a motion, proposed and seconded by CS members then submit to either Council or the AGM. In that way Chess Scotland members decide, not forum members who need not necessarily be CS members.

I can help you formulate the motion if necessary, but NOT the content.

Jim
Hi Guys
The draw for the next round of the Richardson Cup, Spens Cup and Campbell Rose bowl will be take place on Sunday by Andy Howie at the Hamilton Junior Congress at St Margaret’s Hall in Airdrie prior to the first round. Andy will send me the draw for the Richardson Cup, Spens Cup, And Campbell Rose bowl.

I will answer all points raised over the last few days shortly thanks Jim for making the point you made
With my players cap on rather than any CS involvement I have, I was under the impression that such changes were not 'AGM motion' questions necessarily, but rather at the discretion of the director responsible for the particular events?

I understand Jim's point, but one of the problems with AGM votes is that people who have no involvement in such matters vote on things which will never affect them - which to me makes it not dissimilar to the 'non-CS members in a poll scenario'.

Of course, for strong players in FIDE-rated events, not publishing team lists beforehand or match line-ups at least an hour prior to a match is the wrong approach.

I look forward to Ian's thoughts on this when he has a chance to share them, but unless the difficulties in administering a team list approach are too many, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Kind regards,
Andy Burnett
It is much simpler to scrap FIDE rating of Richardson than have all the effort of submitting team lists in advance.
Hi Guys
I've taken a half day off to study my probable opponents games so I can be properly prepared for tonights game against Cathcart.....

I'll try and honestly answer your points....
SBMannion Wrote:1) Next Round of the Richardson is to be played by Sunday 19th March 2017. That weekend we have the Irvine congress. If one team insists on playing that weekend and the other says No, what happens? The team saying they must play, may make the excuse that they can't raise a team (even if they can) in order to weaken the other team who may want to play at Irvine. I can't work out why a clash like this is in the calendar.
2) I agree with Alan Tate. To have a serious Fide Rated event, you should know at least one hour before the game starts so you can prepare. The recent Cathcart - Hamilton match favoured Hamilton as Cathcart did not know which players they may play, whereas I managed to prepare for Alan Grant on board 2, with the right colour! Alan Grant was disadvantaged as he knew that I would have something ready, or instead as he did, play something that is not his regular, meaning he was on the back foot before he started.
From Alan Tate posting it sounds like he encountered the same problem.
3) Should increments be introduced to avoid Roddy McKay losing on time in the quick play finish(his opponent had 7 seconds). Roddy had Queen vs Queen + Pawn

1) A genuine oversight on my part at the time. However we are trying to adopt the principle of using this time in the month to factor in any problems we encounter in submitting the results to FIDE and for the team captains to check the results we have posted. For example there were several errors in the results we had to sort out and one team didnt submit any PNUMS at all. Considering only the home captain submits the results this only increases the margin of error. Overall three players played who werent player registered and one player wasnt FIDE registered ( and will probably register for a foreign chess federation) This all adds to the administration both to myself and especially to the FIDE grader. WE also picked this week as a standard (with the February date being used as a spare) in a bide to avoid both the SNCL and also to avoid other venues) In our eagerness to avoid congress I missed Irvine. Sorry but in future we are limited to what date which can use.

In answer to your other query I can only say that the next round draw will be made by the executive director (Andy Howie) and the membership secretary (Karen Howie) this coming Sunday at the Hamilton Junior Congress at St Margaret's Hall, Airdrie. Andy will forward the draws for the Richardson Cup, Spens Cup, and Campbell Rose bowl to me and they will both be forwarded on and published on the CS website. That will give all teams five to six weeks to agree on a venue and events. If a team genuinely gant play before then I will consider postponing the game for one week if both teams agree to terms such as immediately sending the results that evening and they double check they are fielding eligible players before the match. Remember that date is a guide for the final date that has to be played. If one team insists on playing on that date I need to know ASAP before I consider my ruling in which I may consult the arbiters committee for advice. At the end of the day I may have to rule according to the rules which are explicit

2. This part has been raised before. I agree with Jim Webster that to make serious headway it should be discussed at the AGM as Jim suggests. I personally am not in favour of it and not all teams are in favour of it either. If we are to swap team lists in the manner it would limit who would play that day. If team lists were given one hour before a match it would put an onus on teams submitting lists either by email and/or on site which would mean the home team booking the venue at least for one extra hour and the away having to arrive at least one hour earlier to give and receive. the lists There would also have to be rules changes including penalties for those who havent complied. I just think its one administrative burden too many. If both teams want to swap their teams voluntarily and it isnt binding, who am I to stop that?

3. The problem is this is twofold: mainly some clubs still do not have digital clocks and to impose a penalty for those who do, it should be a qualified FIDE arbiter who knows how to alter the time controls. I see three types of digital clock in circulation and they all operate differently. Moreover I would bet if any time control is changed it would be easy particularly in a time scramble. For this to work we would require a central venue (more cost to chess scotland) and/or more FIDE arbiters. At the moment we are too thin on the ground to accomplish this practically. In summary I am not averse to this if we have more resources and more qualified people available to administer the clocks

George Neave Wrote:he point about published teams lists in advance has been made over and over. There was even a poll where it won support. Organisers seems happy to talk about it but do nothing. As Alan and Adam and Steve all say, it is wrong and should be changed.

the poll was on the forum and not canvassed to CS members and CS membership clubs. I agree with Jim 100% it should be discussed at the CS AGM and published on the agenda. I just dont think its practical and its too easy to go wrong unless either teams turn up an hour early ( at cost to both teams), the home teams give away teams boards to prepare and the tournament director both given authority to penalize
Adam Bremner Wrote:Or just strict grading order maybe? It isn't a level playing field atm, which is not good, especially with it being FIDE rated.
and give also given a copy of each team

I'm actually in favour of a strict CS grading policy with CS published list. I've never been in favour of live grades anyway. If the published grade is out of date when why cant we have the pushed grades every six months instead of a year (sorry Dougie)
amuir Wrote:It is much simpler to scrap FIDE rating of Richardson than have all the effort of submitting team lists in advance.

I think the team list in advance question is valid whether or not the event is FIDE rated. It may simply be more important if the event is FIDE rated.

It is more a question of the status attached to the event which determines if teams/pairings are announced in advance.

The English club championship is a failing event, attracting about 3 entries. It did not publish in advance. The 4NCL is growing in strength. It publishes 1.5 hours in advance. Obviously the two factors may not be linked.
Every player should know how to set the clocks in use at their club.

At one time it was necessary if an illegal move had been played to calculate the average time for each move to work out the clock settings. Players did not object to this in league matches nor insist it was done by an arbiter. I do not believe that setting digital clocks is any harder than calculating 15/17ths of 37 minutes (with no calculators in those days).

I do know of one Glasgow club that has digitals but does not use them as no-one knows how to set them. I believe all those members walk to the club as they can't be bothered learning to drive yet either or learning bus route numbers.