Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNCL
I must say the venue was very nice. Lots of strong players out too. I'm impressed!

Agree that 30 moves would be better but if that's not possible, how about all moves in 2 hours? Or there's always increment ; )
It might have been good to know in advance that this is what it meant to vote to make the top two sections FIDE rated. It might have also been good to know the new time control before deciding how many teams to play or if a person wanted to play at such a fast time control. Andy said to me that it waould be too much trouble to have a different rate for different sections - it would not affect the clocks if you do not set a number of moves on the clock but just program 90 mins then 30 mins.
Good sense is of all things in the world the most equally distributed, for everybody thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that even those most difficult to please do not commonly desire more of it than they already possess. Descartes
The 40 moves in 1:30 just never seems right. I think it encourages *some* players to win on time by playing fast. There must be better time control options available?
You could make the argument nobody wins on time by playing fast, but players lose by playing way too slowly Smile. Time management is a part of the game. Personally I much prefer the new time controls.
In an idea world with sufficient time, I'd use all moves in 90 with a 30 second increment.

Would mean starting at 10 (not 10:15), Afternoon round may not start until 15:30 if a game overruns and potentially 8:30pm finish

Not idea. We are welcome to suggestions for consideration for next season

An earlier point was "if we had known, we would not have voted for this for Division 2". We would have had to bring in anyway as Div 1 is FIDE rated
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
All moves in 90 with 30 secs increment would be bliss ^Smile^
Increments for the SNCL? No way

The reason is a practical one. The equipment used (clocks) are not adequate for use by blind/visually impaired players. If CS are going to organise FIDE rated events, then they must provide adequate equipment for use by all players. The current clock is not a good clock.
SNCL is not a CS event.

We have used increments in the Scottish using the same equipment without issue so pray tell me why SNCL would be different. I know your clock is capable as we used one of the same model at Scarborough and had 2 blind players playing each other with and increment.

Out of interest. For the Olympiad, who provides the clocks for the IBCA team? FIDE or do the players take their own?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:In an idea world with sufficient time, I'd use all moves in 90 with a 30 second increment.

Would mean starting at 10 (not 10:15), Afternoon round may not start until 15:30 if a game overruns and potentially 8:30pm finish

Not idea. We are welcome to suggestions for consideration for next season

An earlier point was "if we had known, we would not have voted for this for Division 2". We would have had to bring in anyway as Div 1 is FIDE rated

Dundee congress introduced increments this year and it seemed to work out fine with a 20 sec (?) increment. Personally I like the idea of increments. A 10:00 start also sounds like a good idea to ensure everyone gets a reasonable break between rounds (at least in games < 100 moves) Wink
Agree with Adam re his comments on time management, goes without saying really.

And like Andy, William, George who all appear to strongly favour the incremental time, that's what I would like to see. It seems very practical and efficient as a time control. If nothing else it also provides many exciting finishes for spectators. Adding a little more excitement to the game and it's image can never be a bad thing?