Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of A 5 Year plan
I haven't commented on this thread previously as I personally think it is irrelevant. What is important is that everyone continues to provide the events, platforms, opportunities for the juniors to progress.

The key ingredient for all the children that progress is supportive parents. If it wasn't for them travelling not only all over Scotland but across the world too (& the financial support) these children wouldn't have been able to utilise those opportunities.
Angus
Quote:It's Christmas.

So I won't say how bananas I think this whole EGO statistical approach is! :-)

Phil ,do you see any other potential factors at play other than your influence? on all juniors in Scotland?

I hate to miss a chance to agree with you Angus!

Statistical games are just that. If you want to claim the success of a plan you needed to have defined what the plan was in advance and what it aimed to achieve ( i.e. five years ago) and the criteria by which you will be judged: again in advance.

Given the limited numbers of players it is would be very easy for averages to be distorted by 1 off factors. I very much doubt there is any real statistically significant trend in the data.

I do not doubt for one moment the contribution made by Phil through his work as an event organiser with the SJC but the same comment goes for all organisers, parents and anyone that freely gives there spare time to help juniors. Most do not feel the need to shout about it.
Hi Phil, can i take it from your assorted comments on this thread,

I HAVE MADE A SERIOUS ERROR-My error, now corrected -I stand corrected again-My mistake

that you are not "in the subset that feel competent enough to post on the mathematics of grading systems. " ??

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
As a parent of two young children, one of whom has learned the basics at 5yo, and another who can now name the pieces at just shy of 2yo, I will say this. The public spats do nothing to enhance the reputation of the game in Scotland, nor encourage prospective parents who wish to get their children involved in it. As a CS member, I am frankly sick of this public wrangling. We are struggling for financial support yet folk prefer to pursue their individual agendas and bash heads rather than tackle the reasons for the game's decline in Scotland. I for one will not be putting my children forward into an arena where division and discord exists.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:Hi Phil, can i take it from your assorted comments on this thread,

I HAVE MADE A SERIOUS ERROR-My error, now corrected -I stand corrected again-My mistake

that you are not "in the subset that feel competent enough to post on the mathematics of grading systems. " ??

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Pat is that the most recent mistake of mine (post was dated 2011) that you can find?

On that topic can you explain is wrong with the concept of measuring the grade of the 10th strongest J12 player in order to measure progress in junior chess in that age group? I am amazed at the speed of this latest attack upon me. It would seem that you and your fellow attackers keep detailed files upon me.

As evidence for that comment the 2012 report from the standards committee a mentioned a 25 page report that clearly contained data upon me. Since that report was not time barred under the data protection act do you think that i was allowed to view it? No I was not. I mention this here because you are the vice chair of the standards committee. Since your chair is always keen to stress that all standards committee business is discussed by all you will no doubt be aware that you, as a group, have apparently broken this piece of legislation.

Since you raise the subject of historical mistakes here is one of yours from December 2012. You posted on the notice board

Quote starts
I fully expect that Mr Thomas will retract his unfair and inacurate slur on me.
I also expect a more reasoned debate on a serious issue.
Quote ends

The background to this is that I asked the notice board not to discuss the standards committee case against a CS official because the matter was sub judice. You posted to claim that you knew of no such case. Your demand for retraction is still on the notice board. Do you still claim that you know of no such case against that CS official?
Enough from both of you. If you want to continue this argument, please take it to email, phone or find a room somewhere.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"