Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Cup
amuir Wrote:it was predicted to me yesterday that Scotland will win the Glorney Cup in the next five years.

Looks like we might go down 4 - 1 to England B today, so quite some work required to make this come to pass Sad
Matthew Turner Wrote:
amuir Wrote:it was predicted to me yesterday that Scotland will win the Glorney Cup in the next five years.

Looks like we might go down 4 - 1 to England B today, so quite some work required to make this come to pass Sad

OK , put me down for Junior ID in August as well as Senior ID and I will bring back the glory years
Put forward a programme to develop our young players and my vote is in the bag.
amuir Wrote:
Matthew Turner Wrote:

OK , put me down for Junior ID in August as well as Senior ID and I will bring back the glory years

Your sense of humour seems to be improving Andy - not sure about your grip on reality though Wink
Matthew Turner Wrote:Put forward a programme to develop our young players and my vote is in the bag.

Simply make the Glorney the top priority. Select the players for that first and the other tournaments follow. The success of winning will encourage a winning mentality.
amuir Wrote:
Matthew Turner Wrote:Put forward a programme to develop our young players and my vote is in the bag.

Simply make the Glorney the top priority. Select the players for that first and the other tournaments follow. The success of winning will encourage a winning mentality.

That is neither necessary nor sufficient.

I suggest waiting till after this tournament is over for such discussions though, I know they are not intended to criticize the current players but could be perceived as such.

Good luck to all the teams for the remaining games!
"Glorney Gilbert 2016
Round 3 (Day 2) The “Scottish invasion” (to quote Basman from the recent Delancy Gigafinal) was in full swing on day 2 as our younger cohorts triumphed decisively against the English Bishops team – and of course, we don’t enjoy that more than we would against any other nation (...). Both the Stokes (U12) and the Robinson (U14) scored an impressive 4-2 win with Jake Sanger securing an impressive 2.5 from 3 and Rachel Smith grinding out yet another complex rook ending to score an admirable 100% 3/3. Rachel’s ending was perhaps a good endorsement of Hamish’s pre-match advice for everyone to know their “Lucena and Philidor”! On the more senior boards, the girls had another tough day, but Stuthi held a strong opponent to a draw, Caitlin unfortunately blundered but played a genuinely impressive game, and Sarah succumbed to some relentless pressure having held on admirably. Caitlin had a particularly tough challenge on board 1 but the sheer competitive grit of her play is in no way reflected in the score. For the Glorney, Lennart is also on an impressive 100% score, with Kai coming very close to another victory. "

Peter
We finished 5th / 6 in Glorney. Lennart was top board 1 player got nearly half our points.
However review is required to see what went wrong.
Clement Sreeves Wrote:
amuir Wrote:

That is neither necessary nor sufficient.

I suggest waiting till after this tournament is over for such discussions though...

I would echo Clement's sentiments.

Andrew, I couldn't vote for just a three sentence plan, unless it was a really good three sentences that covered the whole plan.

amuir Wrote:However review is required to see what went wrong.

You didn't wait long Andrew. The tournament isn't officially over yet.

I'm not sure anything "went wrong". The objective (at the moment) is to improve at all age groups, with a view to winning all the sections when we next host the tournament. There is a lot of work that needs done to achieve this and I am looking to put in place a structure that would last long-term.

Having only just taking the reigns of junior home and junior international chess towards the end of last year, the first few months have been spent putting together the events so far and making sure they go as smoothly as possible.

I would hope that within the next four or five months, working in conjunction with regional junior bodies and the CS Management Board, as well as those who have assisted greatly so far, we can publish a positive and constructive plan to further develop our junior chess in Scotland, at all levels.

One idea (of mine) for discussion would be to appoint team coaches for the age groups as soon as possible. The team coaches would work with potential team players, their day-to-day coaches and the players parents throughout the year, with regular meet-ups arranged. Perhaps, treating the likes of the Dundee, Oban and Edinburgh Congresses as training events.

There are other ideas in the mix, such as integrating all of the Chess Scotland events juniors participate in, into an overall structured, pyramid type set up, with the Primary Individual feeding the Liverpool Quadrangular, feeding the Glorney-Gilbert, Under 16 Olympiad, World and Euro Individual.

These are just ideas at the moment, for thought and discussion, with the regional junior bodies and other interested parties.

amuir Wrote:Simply make the Glorney the top priority. Select the players for that first and the other tournaments follow. The success of winning will encourage a winning mentality.

This is a great objective and a good basis for a plan and is certainly part of what I am working towards just now.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
David , how can we trust you ? Our top players are not playing in the Glorney Cup year in year out. You had a chance this year to get them to play but this was not successful. My generation produced lots of IMs. No new IMs have been produced in the last decade. It's no wonder the sponsor of the Scottish has walked.

I have to be appointed Junior ID or Glorney Cup manager at the AGM to make this happen.